Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managed Preferences Issues

I'm working with a lab of old eMacs with 10.4.11 installed. They say their local Student accounts are currently managed by the Mac OS X Workgroup Manager application. I've checked our OS X servers, though, and they don't appear to be listed anywhere in their Workgroup Managers.

This wouldn't be a problem, except some of the computers are refusing to let me override the management settings. System Preferences just freezes up whenever I try to change them. Even if I disconnect them from the network, they still give the same error & freezes. On top of that, the few computers I've managed to override the managed preferences might be having their managed preferences changed by... something.

I have 2 questions:
1. How can I learn where an account's Managed Preferences are coming from?
2. How do I unlock/remove trouble Managed Preferences?

eMacs, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 1:53 PM

5 replies

Apr 10, 2011 2:07 AM in response to Jeff Kelleher

Hello Jeff

Simply as a reminder but In 10.4 and earlier that particular application was known as Directory Access. Perhaps OP does not realise this and is looking for something else?

I could be wrong but it seems to me OP is saying WorkGroup Manager is installed locally on each of the affected client workstations. In which case this will be locally applied MCX using the appropriate tools in WGM. This is something that's perfectly feasible and possible. I do it all the time in smaller (less than 10) OD environments when there's no need/budget for OSX Server.

If this is indeed the case then launch WorkGroup Manager on each workstation, dismiss the initial connection window - click Cancel - click on the Server Menu and select View Directories. You should then be looking at the local node with users listed. Authenticate as the local administrator and inspect what MCX has been applied to each local user. It's been a while but I'm not sure if you could apply MCX to local groups using this method? Depending on how this was set up you'd probably have to do this for each local account on each workstation in turn?

Additionally cached information for MCX may either be in/Library/Managed Preferences as well as the NetInfo Database. The NetInfo Utility can be found /Application/Utilities - the same place where you'll find Directory Access. Authenticate using the local admin and select the config container and delete anything to do with mcx that's listed. Alternatively you could use the command line utility "nicl" - similar to "dscl" - to achieve the same result. Restart afterwards into safe mode and on login empty the trash and restart again. You'd have to do this for each workstation in turn. If you have ARD available you could use this instead if you want to save yourself some leg-work?

Hopefully this will get things back on track?

Tony

Managed Preferences Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.