Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer music from IPOD to IPHONE

Hello,
I have an "old" IPOD nano that contains music I would like to have in my IPHONE. Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this? Naturally, I have an IPHONE ITUNES account, and when I hook up the IPOD to the PC it seems as if ITUNES want a new account set up for it. How to bridge the music over?

Thanks in advance!

DELL, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 6:27 PM

20 replies

Apr 7, 2011 7:41 PM in response to roaminggnome

Thank you for responding.

I checked both playlists and found songs on the iphone that were NOT on the ipod.

So, when I click on Itunes I can both devices and their music, BUT I cannot get to the ipod music when I am looking at the iphone device ,and VV.

There may be a way to do what I want but it is definitively not intuitive.I cannot understand why Apple created such a lousy design.

Apr 7, 2011 8:28 PM in response to roaminggnome

This is what not clear:

Ipod device has music. Iphone device has music.

When (in Itunes) I am in the iphone device I can move my music to a new playlist and then click on the Ipod device. Once there, I cannot move (copy, paste)or drag n' drop music the new playlist (iphone) to the Ipod (or VV).

Do you have a definitive way to accomplish this?

Apr 7, 2011 7:57 PM in response to bioya1

You CANNOT move music directly from the ipod to the iphone.

The music sync is one way - computer to ipod/iphone. The exception is itunes purchases. If the music on your ipod are itunes purchases, then you can transfer them from the ipod to your computer. Without syncing: File>Transfer Purchases

Once on your computer, you can sync them to iphone.

Apr 7, 2011 8:18 PM in response to bioya1

What do you mean? What is not clear?

The music sync is ONE WAY ONLY - computer to ipod. The music does NOT sync from ipod to computer. The ONY exception is itunes purchases.

The music should be on your computer or on your backup copy of your computer, as it had to come from there in the first place.

There may some third party programs ( not supported by Apple) that will pull music from an ipod. you can try one of these at your risk and expense.

Apr 7, 2011 8:59 PM in response to bioya1

bioya1 wrote:
No purchases.

I have two devices with music and I want one device to have it all. I don't care if its a direct or indirect way of doing it. I just want to do it.

I do not see a way to do this. It is not clear nor intuitive. Both devices are Apple devices and Itunes is Apple. Why is this not an easy thing to do?

If it is on your computer, in itunes, then it can be synced to your devices.

Open itunes, plug in a device, select whatever you like to sync, sync, eject/unplug device

do the same with the other device.

Apr 7, 2011 9:40 PM in response to roaminggnome

I think that I am on the right road EXCEPT- When I am on the Iphone device (in Itunes) I ask to sync everything. It syncs up 500 songs. Well, that is what I had before. The IPOD HAS ANOTHER 1000, I do not see them being sync'd. It's like its ignoring the 1000 and yet they are there, I can see them in the Ipod device.

I even tried it manually, clicking on everything (artists, genres, artists), still only 500. Why is it not syncing the other 1000?

How to transfer music from IPOD to IPHONE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.