Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transmit files from Mac SE into iMac?

My wife is using an old Mac SE. Now we would use the files with my iMac 9.1. What is necessary to do?
When I save the files on disk, my G3 can't read the disk???

iMac, G3, G4 Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Dec 24, 2005 10:35 AM

4 replies

Dec 24, 2005 5:52 PM in response to rainer-juergen

IF you have a G3 with floppy(Desktop,AIO,Minitower)then he should be able to read even 800k disks from SE.My 7600/OS 9.1 can do this.
You can also connect this three G3 with a serial printer cable(Mini-DIN 8) and use LocalTalk/filesharing to transport your files.
Second:Depends on the kind of files(Wordprocessor) you use on SE,wether you can really use them on G3.
Merry Christmas

Dec 25, 2005 5:48 PM in response to rainer-juergen

The Mac SE reads/writes files on Diskette 2D in 800K format.
USB diskette drives read/write Diskette HD in 1.4 MB format ONLY.

The Iron Oxide on the two types of diskettes is different, and the format is not interchangeable.

There is some unsupported software on the Apple Download site called LocalTalk/Ethernet Bridge. It could be run on a Mac such as a Platinum-Beige G3 to transfer files between LocalTalk on the Mac SE and Ethernet on the iMac.

There are devices you can buy that support LocalTalk Printers on an Ethernet network. They also support LocalTalk Macs on an Ethernet Network.
AsanteTalk and Farallon EtherPrint LT.

How to transmit files from Mac SE into iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.