Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring video files from IPhoto to IMovie

I imported some video files in the .mov format from my camera to IPhoto. How do I export these files to IMovie so I can edit them? Or is this something I can do in IPhoto?

Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 4:26 PM

6 replies

Apr 8, 2011 8:49 AM in response to bookworm1

You don't need to do anything with them in iPhoto.

Just open iMovie and in the left hand area of the application in the Event Library you should see a section called iPhoto Videos. If you can't see the iPhoto Videos section click on the little arrow next to the name of your hard drive just under the Last Import section in the Event Library.

When you click on the iPhoto Videos section you should then have access to your videos stored in iPhoto directly.

Dec 20, 2011 9:21 PM in response to Ian Parkinson

Greetings.

I need more assistance.

I see the events library in iMovie, and I when I click on the arrow it shows a line "iPhoto Videos," which I expect would be where the iPhoto videos would be listed, but it doesn't display any of my videos. (I only have a few.) In fact, when I activate date range, it shows the last "event" as a year and a half ago. I checked the preferences in iPhoto and in iMovie, but didn't find anything that explains it to me, but for some reason, iMovie is not seeing recent videos in iPhoto. (My most recent video is from an iPhone, the one before that is from a Nikon still camera that shoots HD video.)

Thanks for any ideas!

Apr 16, 2012 10:10 PM in response to bookworm1

I had the same problem - I could not pull video from iPhoto to my desktop nor to iMovie, and I could not see any of my iPhoto Videos in the associated folder in iMovie.

In the end, I was able to right-click on the movie in iPhoto and choose "copy." Then I went to Finder and navigated to my desktop, where I right-clicked and chose "paste."

Then I went to iMovie and chose File -> Import -> Movies... I was able to select the movie I'd placed on my desktop from there.

Oddly, the clip loaded as part of a different project, but I was able to pull it into a new blank project.

Pretty convoluted, but it worked.

transferring video files from IPhoto to IMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.