Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update itunes

When I load up my itunes main page I get a blank screen. I can see my songs buts can't buy anything. I was told to just delete the itunes via control panel and install the new verison. It keeps giving me an error when trying to remove it. Saying it cannot find a certain file, it does it right after I click uninstall. I have some other non songs that I uploaded to itunes, so I figured I could just go to my laptop buy the songs I want and then they will be there on my other computer without having to fix it. This sounds logically to me, if it works. Does this sound like it would work? Also anybody else have an idea why I can't delete iturns or how to do so?

xps, Windows XP, 4 years old

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 4:57 PM

7 replies

Apr 7, 2011 10:38 PM in response to niunit

Unusual ... I think we'd better check to see what the Windows Installer cleanup utility says about the situation.

Unfortunately, this sort of trouble has gotten more complicated to deal with ever since Microsoft pulled the Windows Installer CleanUp utility from their Download Center on June 25. First we have to find a copy of the utility.

Let's try Googling. (Best not to use Bing, I think.) Look for a working download site for at least version 3.0 of the Windows Installer CleanUp utility. After downloading the utility installer file (msicuu2.exe), scan the file for malware, just in case. (I use the free version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware to do single-file scans for that.)

If the file is clean, to install the utility, doubleclick the msicuu2.exe file you've downloaded.

Now run the utility ("Start > All Programs > Windows Install Clean Up").

*Don't remove anything just yet.*

Check through the list of programs showing in CleanUp. Is there an iTunes entry in the list?

If not, up at the top of the list, can you see any of the following sorts of entries?

(a) A line beginning with (All users) which doesn't have a program name next to it, just a version number in square brackets? If so, what is the version number?

(b) A line beginning with (All users) which doesn't have a program name next to it and doesn't have a version number?

(c) A completely blank line? (No all users, name or version number?)

Can't update itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.