Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Safari pages from reloading when selected.

Safari in iPad is driving me crazy. Unlike tabs in Safari for Mac, the pages on the iPad seem to be hardwired to reload when you select them (I usually have several pages open and need to switch back and forth between them). And that means lots of wasted time waiting for pages to reload and many times the new page refreshes with different content so I've lost the exact page I was on. Is there a way to stop Safari from auto-reloading pages when they are selected? I'd prefer to have to manually initiate refreshes.

iMac Intel, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 8:51 PM

12 replies

Apr 8, 2011 9:41 AM in response to Fredo

Yes I have the same problem, it can get frustrating. When I'm on google news and I click on a news link it will open a new window but when I go back to google news I have to wait for it to reload. And when it reloads I lose the section I was on meaning I have to browse to the section I was on google news again.

May 14, 2012 12:33 PM in response to Fredo

Thecipad has less memory for application use than your typical desktop or laptop computer. To use that memory efficiently Safari on the iPad keeps the pages address wheth tab is hidden but the content has to refresh when you come back to that tab. That's how it works right now. If you like you can offer suggestions and feedback to Apple here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iPad.html

Feb 2, 2015 1:08 AM in response to Bo in Mesquite

Your advice didn't work for me. Safari was the only app I had running, and I only had two tabs. I was attempting to post in school discussion forum. I opened a new tab, and found the link I wanted to reference. When I returned to the discussion board tab, the page reloaded and I lost everything I had typed thus far.

I have a 16GB iPad 2 with 12GB free. Only one app running and two tabs open and yet it still did this.

Any thoughts on why that might be?

Mar 3, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Fredo

Please Apple fix this. I have a business case where we're converting old IBM Notes applications to be used in Safari on iPad. Whenever my users switch to another app and then swith back to Safari any written, unsaved, content is lost since the page re-loads.Very annoying. :-(

Now we need to add auto-saving of page every X minute in order to minimize the loss when swithing to another tab/app.

Nov 28, 2015 1:50 PM in response to rvarnfors

Да срать эпл хотел на твои хотелки, с версии 7-й иос забудь про многозадачность, по сути ты просто запускаешь как бы свернутое приложение по новой, как буд-то ты его не сворачивал, но тебе показывают, что оно как бы не закрыто и все хорошо. На деле - постоянные обновления страниц, стоит переключится на другое приложение. Тим Кук просто опустил в моих глазах эппл на уровень с нокией своими обновления. Никогда больше не куплю продукцию этой компании! Джопс рулил в свое время, все сам тестировал, а эти уроды теперешние в носу ковыряют и думают как продать больше новейших аппаратов. Козлы - тим кук и его команда, кароч. Еще и сраные геи.

Stop Safari pages from reloading when selected.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.