Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oldl wireless keyboard won't pair with new iMac

I used our wireless keyboard with an old Mac that died. I bought a new iMac but the keyboard won't paid with the new iMac.

The iMac sees the keyboard, gives me a pairing, but the keyboard won't pair.

Is it possible that the keyboard's bluetooth isn't compatible with the newer versions of bluetooth?

Another have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Don

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 1:45 AM

7 replies

Apr 10, 2011 7:26 AM in response to dondemaio

Hello again:

The normal answer is to delete it from your old system. Since yours is broken, that will not work.

Try a couple of things (assuming you have a mouse that works):

Trash a preference file (com.apple.bluetooth.plist) and restart.

Reset the PRAM and SMC.

I read a bit ago about someone who addressed this issue with a KB by walking out of range of the computer while keeping the power button depressed. I do not know whether this fixed the problem…

If nothing else works, take everything to an Apple store (if one is close) and have them address the issue as the new computer is still in warranty.

Barry

Apr 12, 2011 8:46 PM in response to dondemaio

Anyone that has a problem with pairing the old Apple White full size bluetooth keyboard to Macs running OS 10.6 and up here is how you can get it to work.

The bluetooth setup assistant does not work, delete the bluetooth preference and reset the PRAM won't work either.

Do This:

Open System Preferences, click on keyboard

on the bottom right hand corner click on setup bluetooth keyboard.
Make sure the BT KB is on, the setup should find and ID the keyboard you want to pair, enter the pairing key when prompted, in about 15-20 second the keyboard will be paired.

I have paired all three of my white full size BT KBs this way to both the Macbook and MBP running snow leopard. (Note, if you are running Leopard you shouldn't have any problem at all, this paring problem appear only happen with Snow Leopard pairing an older Apple BT KBs.)

PS. I typed this post using a white Apple full size BT keyboard paired with my new MBP.

Jun 23, 2011 11:41 AM in response to dondemaio

Hi Don,

Make sure no other Bluetooth device is within range of pairing with the keyboard. I just had an iMac, w/a working Bluetooth keyboard, shutdown. Upon restarting the iMac, it saw the keyboard, but would not pair with it. I poured thru the discussions on this subject and while I was "pushing all the buttons on the keyboard" as it was trying to pair (as one person suggested), I started hearing noises coming from the next room in unison to my typing. I discovered that an iMac in the next room was pairing with the keyboard - and that I had inadvertently renamed iMac #2 a jibberish name! So I turned Bluetooth off on iMac #2 and pairing was immediately successful on iMac #1. I hope you've found a solution before now, but just in case, thought I'd share.

TC

Mar 16, 2014 1:08 PM in response to dondemaio

Hi I have a problem with my key board old whit one with mac mini 09 keyboard was working but not pairing

it will present a passcode to my mac mini but will not go beyond return so i renamed it using a usb kb of course this was excepted but would not go past the return button so i have now tried it on my Imac and it says its connected and it sees the new name but no key functions also the green light on the rear gives two quick flashes with a pause any clues batterys new

Oldl wireless keyboard won't pair with new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.