Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS wont turn on or charge ......

Hi ,
I have my iPhone 3GS 32GB which is running 4.3(not jailbroken)which i have had for about 2 years now and just recently , i went to go put it onto the charger (as the battery was low) and i went to check it and it was off . So i thought , why is it off? . I tired turning on and nothing. I tried the hold power and home button for over 10 seconds , nothing and the home button while pluging in the USB cable , but still nothing..... Can anyone help my problem ?

Thanks

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 3GS Black 32GB, iPod Touch 2nd 8GB , iPod Nano 4th 8GB

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 4:18 AM

17 replies

Apr 8, 2011 11:03 AM in response to cSmASTER#CzGN

+1
I updated to the latest 4.whatever, and the next day my phone spontaneously powered down in a similar manner to the above user. I noticed that the phone was getting excessively hot when I attempted to charge it when it was powered down. I could not turn it back on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems like a possible battery problem, but the fact that the failure corresponds to a update is too much of a coincidence to ignore. Grr
Thanks!
-Steve

Apr 9, 2011 1:10 PM in response to cSmASTER#CzGN

Hi,

I've just had the same thing with my iPhone 3GS, on 4.3.1. It crashed out, and the back-light seemed to stop working. All my contacts / emails / photos were still on the phone, but the brightness was gone, and the date had reset to Thursday Jan 1st 1974. When I plugged it in, the brightness returned and I could change brightness via settings. Unplugged: no brightness. After about half an hour, it crashed again and now refuses to turn on / recognise when it is plugged in.

I've tried two different cables, connected to my computer and to a wall socket. Is my only remaining option taking it to the Apple store?

Thanks

iPhone 3GS wont turn on or charge ......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.