Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages crashes when opening document URGENT CONFIDENTIAL!

I created a pages document in Pages (iPad) and designed a note taking template for counseling - type applications. It contained a table with large rows for note taking.

As I couldn't duplicate the table (which took up a whole page) I sendt to iTunes & edited in Pages (Mac) - duplicating the table so now 5 tables appeared in the document. I sent back to iPad.

I duplicated this document a number of times and renamed for a client.
After two hours of very important and intimate note taking, the app crashed.

When I try to open this very important document, pages crashes. I can't email it or convert it or anything - it just crashes. It also doesn't show up in iTunes.

Have I just learned the hard way that iPad / Pages is not a serious business application? I hope not as this document represents a confidentiality risk as well.

Any help in recovering this document would be very helpful if anyone knows. Also maybe a serious alternative to Apple software?

Mac Pro, iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 4:21 AM

25 replies

Apr 8, 2011 7:14 AM in response to Ian Parkinson

Complex? A table with 16 cells is complex? And your response helps how?

But yes - I tested a few times with no issues. Added & Deleted & reused the table a number of times.
I did notice tonight while using the template it started to slow down the more text that was added to various cells. It seems too much text in the cells & it freaks out.

Apr 8, 2011 7:22 AM in response to bonzabuy

Maybe what you want it to do is just beyond the applications capability.

I don't think there is a way to recover the damaged file as there is no access to the inner workings of the iPads file structure.

Can you see the file in Pages where all the files are shown side by side?
If you can have your tried to send to iTunes (which you must do for it to appear in iTunes in the Pages area).

Message was edited by: Ian Parkinson

Apr 8, 2011 5:45 PM in response to Ian Parkinson

Yes I can see the file in the file list - the first page preview in the thumbnail shows the correct content too. But I can't email it or upload or anything - as soon as I try to access it pages crashes.

If I try to open the progress bar gets nearly to the end before pages says it has to close. If I try to email or convert it pages just closes basically instantly.

I think I'm still on 4.3 so I'm contemplating JB to see if I can access the file through ssh & then try to open in pages on Mac - anyone know if that will work? I haven't had a need for JB on my ipad until now.

Apr 18, 2011 5:10 AM in response to bonzabuy

I'm having the same problem. About 5 pages, each with a picture and two tables. Not that much text and not that many columns or rows.

If I try to send the document by email (as pages or woed), or copy to iDisk nothing happens and I'm back on the iPad home page.

Trying to share with iWork.com I get and error and then pages is locked, and I have to use the multi-tasking bar to kill it.

Very disappointed as local document creation is really useful and quite nice, but is simple documents get corrupted, and can't be recovered then thats quite a large area in where the iPad isn't of use.

Apr 25, 2011 1:41 AM in response to bonzabuy

I have the same problem- it's driving me crazy! It's just a simple document with a table. I really need the document as it contains all the bibliographical details and referencing info for a major assignment due v soon. Not impressed! I've tried converting it to a PDF file & emailing it to myself, but it just crashes, as does sending it to iTunes. I'll try duplicating it now, but can't imagine it would do anything different.

Mar 12, 2012 12:41 PM in response to TRA2010

Latest version of iOS and Pages, document with easy formatting (just a title and heading1) and about two pages of text:

Pages crached while typing. After starting the app again the document was broken. Nothing can be done with it, no copying, sending as email, copy to itunes - nothing. The document is lost to me.

Frustrating.

Pages crashes when opening document URGENT CONFIDENTIAL!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.