11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2015 8:15 AM by lanvyHATESapple
lindasc Level 1 (0 points)
Can anyone help. I need my F4 key to be the absolute function in excel. Not working! I have a new imac 3.06. this key board has no F key functions.

Help!

Mac OS X (10.4), tech support needed on powerbooks and desktops
  • Badunit Level 6 (11,615 points)
    What do you mean by "be the absolute function"? Does this mean it inserts the ABS function into the selected cell, changes the selected cell reference from relative to absolute, or what?

F4 in Excel for Mac (2010) is "Paste text into active cell", which is not really necessary as it is duplicated by cmd-V. The Fx keys require pressing the fn key on the keyboard in addition to pressing the Fx fey.

F4 in Excel for PCs is the "repeat last function" key. Numbers does not have this. Apparently Excel for the Mac doesn't either.

And are we talking Excel or Numbers? You can sometimes get Excel questions answered here but this is a forum for Numbers.

Message was edited by: Badunit
  • maxtopdog Level 1 (5 points)

+T

Is the mac equivalent of F4 in excel 2011 and will toggle the formula reference style between absolute, relative, and mixed

• cooperscreek Level 1 (0 points)

In Excel for Windows, when you're in edit mode within a cell, the F4 key toggles your cell references between Absolute and Relative mode. In Excel for Mac in Edit mode, the F4 key does nothing. The OP wants to know how to access that Abs/Rel toggle functionv (as did I).

Fortunately  maxtopdog provides the answer below, on Aug 9 2011 (command+T).

• occltd Level 1 (0 points)

Try: fn + cmd then F4

• SGIII Level 6 (8,583 points)

If you're looking for a keyboard shortcut to toggle between absolute and relative references in Numbers 3, you can click the range token in a formula and hit command-k and shift-command-k.

In Excel on the Mac, as maxtopdog posted, the equivalent is command-t.

SG

• Wayne Contello Level 6 (17,499 points)

To add to SGs comment:

Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 10.46.56 AM.png

the repeatedly type the key combination <command> + <shift> + k to cycle through:

- Absolute column

- Absolute row

- absolute row and column

- relative

(I think it's quicker just to type the "$" myself)

• SGIII Level 6 (8,583 points)

(I think it's quicker just to type the "$" myself)

Me too.  Or, if the formula editor defeats my intent as I type, click the triangle and check the Preserve Row and/or Preserve Column boxes.

Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 11.51.09 AM.png

SG

• Lucykross Level 1 (0 points)

command+T

You can also select the reference, then use the key combination

<command> + <shift> + k

to cycle through the combinations of absolute and relative references

<command> + t   opens the font dialog.

• lanvyHATESapple Level 1 (0 points)

Do exactly what you would in PC Excel using F4 which is to:

1) first highlight the target cell

2) instead of F4 use command+T (which will toggle through all options: abs colume only, abs row only, abs col & row)

It's quite simple and it works for Excel 2011