3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2011 4:10 AM by turingtest2
Dan Toole Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
have iPad and iPod that I've synced to macbookpro. Now want to sync to my iMac where I have more storage and more iTunes, photos etc. How to I switch my primary computer?

IMAC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (59,810 points)
    Copy your entire iTunes folder from your MacBookPro to your iMac. iTunes should see the new copy of the library as being the "home" library for each device and will happily sync each as if nothing had changed.

If you have split the library so that the media content is no longer inside the main iTunes library folder then it gets a bit more complex. The media folder must end up at precisely the same path on the target machine or iTunes won't connect to the media.

tt2
  • Dan Toole Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks for the quick response. A further question. I have more music on my iMac than then MBPro -- so could just sync to that without overwriting the iTunes file. Possible? Thx
  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (59,810 points)
    Hi, if you switch libraries iTunes will want to erase all the existing content and start over. This probably isn't a problem for your media, though I'm sure the two libraries will have different ratings, play counts, etc. What might cause problems is the behaviour of apps. These normally sync to a single library, so if you switch libraries you may end up wiping out the settings and any files associated with your apps. Having set things up for myself so that I can use my library at multiple computers I've not really explored the limitations of switching libraries in great depth. You might find it less hassle (at least as far as managing the devices is concerned) to migrate your existing MBPro library and then import the additional content that is on the iMac. Either way it seems you are probably going to want to merge and dedupe unless you already know that the iMac library contains everything in the MBPro one.

tt2