Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD Card Reader issues - 2011 MBP i7

The last couple of days i began using the SD Card slot (didnt for the first few weeks of picking up the new Mac) and noticed some random inconsistencies with the SD Card Reader.
I have two SD Cards I tried that both exhibit the same issue:
16GB PNY Class-6 SDHC -&- 1GB Lexar SD

I tried them in two (2) 13" 2009 MBP's and they worked flawlessly each time; Insert either card, eject re-inster it again - all fine shows up i can access files, no problem.

with the 15" 2011 i7 2.2ghz - regardless of card they do the same behaviors; i plug an SD card in, sometimes it will show up...then eject it..then may or may not appear the next time.
Try the second card, same thing.
Sometimes they fail to show up regardless multiple times.
however they all work in cameras and USB card readers fine.
(also when plugged into the computer via Camera or USB Card Reader, they appear).

I've done the following;
repair permissions, rebooted, PRAM reset, updated to the special 10.6.7 for 2011 MacBook Pro's, etc.
Cards are fine, something out of whack with the SD Card Reader I imagine.

One thing I did notice the difference between the 2009 13" MBP and the 2011 15" MBP is the SD card connectors are more gold plated on the 2009 13" while he 2011 15" isnt fully gold - which im not sure if that has any bearing on the issue or if its that they changed from being on the USB bus to being on the PCIe Bus?

Thanks for any suggestions

MacBook Pro | iPhone VZW, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 11:51 PM

2 replies

SD Card Reader issues - 2011 MBP i7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.