Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up

Hi

I am looking for a backup solution because i am hosting a lot of custormers.
The back up solution has to be relativly cheap.
I am currently using around 1 tb but i need the possibility to expand to around 15 tb.
I have allready made up my mind that i want to use online/cloud backup.
I hope you guys have a suggestion

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 9:55 AM

2 replies

Apr 12, 2011 4:15 PM in response to bslindgreen

So if I understand the question, you are looking to just replicate data. If this is the case, then look at JungleDisk. Their .15 (USD)/GB is the cheapest I know of. But if this is the case, and you have 15 TB then you are looking at a $2250/month fee for 15 TB. That is a hefty fee and you will only be able to do synchronization, not historical backup.

What is your backup objective? What type of data are you archiving? How much change is occurring on a given day? And recall, there you should be looking at a blending mode of backup. You should be looking to do both historical restoration (depending on the type of data that you are managing) and also disaster mitigation backup. Basically, you need to be able to restore your data to a reasonable restore point to limit the amount of lost data, but you also may need to provide mechanism for restoration of a file from last week, or last month, or based on compliance issue, 7 years ago.

You might want to look at colocation solutions to mirror your content across two geographically distance locations. Or you might want to just find another facility and do a cross pollination of data.

Hope this helps. Backup is a vital consideration of all organizations. And often, the cheapest solutions is not the business appropriate solution. Measure your exposure to risk and assess your backup needs. Then build a solution accordingly.

Back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.