Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not recognizing pages

Hi

My Mac (safari) has decided that a lot of my favorite pages dont exist. For example I can not connect to the news page of www.bbc.co.uk. The error message I get is
Safari can’t open the page “ http://news.bbc.co.uk/” because Safari can’t find the server “news.bbc.co.uk”. This started a couple of weeks ago, for whatever reason. Ive cleared out all cookies related to "bbc" but still no good.

ANyone have any ideas whats going on and how to fix it?

iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 11:12 AM

26 replies

Apr 9, 2011 11:30 AM in response to Tony Hague

Hi,

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Extensions tab.

If you have any installed, turn that off, then relaunch Safari, try that site.

If you don't have any Extensions installed, go to back Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab.

Deselect the box next to: Enable plug-ins

Relaunch Safari. If that page renders like it should, then follow the instructions here for Troubleshooting Safari third party unsupported add ons

And try resetting Safari. From the menu bar click Safari / Reset Safari. Select the top 7 buttons, click Reset.

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 11, 2011 11:02 PM in response to Tony Hague

Hi Tony,

I have the same problem as you to which I will add the following observations:

1. I have an iPhone as well which has the same issue when connected to wifi. If I switch off wifi and use 3G, I can access the www.bbc.co.uk portal.

2. I have a Windows laptop which has no problem navigating to the page.

3. At home I have a Mac Mini and and Macbook Pro and both have the curious issue of either not opening the page or only downloading the page partially.

4. I have Firefox installed and I have the same problem when using this browser.

Conclusions
----------

Given that the WIndows PC works, I would say that my modem is configured correctly.

This problem started a two to three week back. BBC is a page I navigate to on a daily basis and I would say that the only changes made have been to download the latest Apple updates.

Apr 12, 2011 5:55 AM in response to hottentot

I'm having the same issue but with other sites.

I get this msg.

Safari can’t open the page “ http://www.airbnb.com/” because Safari can’t connect to the server “www.airbnb.com”.

it is the same for all ehow.com urls

I have no fire wall operating, I am able to access the sites off the same wireless network on a window based machine as well as from safari on iphone 4. I am able to access pretty much every other site? I get the same type of error when using different browser (firefox), I am on the administrator account and have never had parental settings on.

I have seen a lot of other people with the same problem on other forums but haven't found a solution?

I reinstalled osx and also safari? it worked for about a minute and then stopped again?

It is incredibly frustrating and I cant seem to be able to get any help.

any ideas ?

Apr 14, 2011 10:54 PM in response to Tony Hague

I found a solution to the problem (at least for mine). For me it was a DNS issue. Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know but the Domain Name Servers (DNSs) are what translate addresses (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk) into IP addresses (in the case of BBC, 212.58.244.70).

I started by opening Terminal and pinging the BBC website with the command: ping www.bbc.co.uk

When I saw that the host was not recognised, I suspected a DNS problem, so here's what I did:

1. I opened System Preferences
2. I selected "Network"
3. I chose my connection (for me it was Airport. If you're cabled, choose Ethernet)
4. I clicked the "DNS" tab
5. I had no DNS servers which were greyed out (in other words, these were the service provider DNSs
6. I made a note of these in case I had to reverse my changes
7. I clicked the + symbol which made these entries disappear
8. I added the following two DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
9. I clicked OK
10. I clicked "Apply" on the next window
11. I closed system preferences

And that was it. All of a sudden I was able to ping the bbc.co.uk server again and surf to the BBC webpage without any issues.

GIve this a try. I suspect it will resolve your issue.

I don't know exactly how we got into this situation and, since I'm from a Windows background, I would suspect that there is a way to flush the DNS cache on a Mac (which is what I would have tried on a Windows box).

Anyway, please get back to me and let me know if this resolves your problem.

Apr 15, 2011 7:44 AM in response to hottentot

Hi hottentot. The problem with this error is that it's intermittent: one minute the server can't be found (even if you were just browsing the website) and the next it can. I'd be interested to see if the problem resurfaces for you.

As for the origin of the problem, it - and another problem where web page formatting goes crazy - appears to have been introduced with the 10.6.7 update. The Safari 5.0.5 update doesn't appear to have resolved either problem.

Apr 28, 2011 9:03 AM in response to sean.piggott

Safari cannot find any bbc.co.uk pages. I too have the same problem, but it appears only on my three Macs, not on my iphone. I too don't have extensions and it is an intermittent problem, hit and miss really. My neighbours do not have Macs are all able to get BBC all the time. I have had Macs for ages connecting to BBC, but for the past several months or so, I have encountered this problem.

Apr 30, 2011 2:39 AM in response to hottentot

Many thanks to OmbligoBlanco whose diagnosis worked (at least for now) perfectly on both my main Mac and laptop.

bbc.co.uk is my landing page and has worked perfectly for many years until around 3 months ago when it either didn't open at all, displaying the same message "Safari can’t open the page “http://news.bbc.co.uk/” because Safari can’t find the server “news.bbc.co.uk”, opened without any images or opened in a strange, unformatted mess!

I contacted the BBC several times but of course, you don't get a response and have the strange feeling that writing them is a waste of time.

I haven't read the full thread here so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's question but is this problem purely affecting users outside the UK? - I live in Spain and my brother in the UK has had no problems (he's also Mac based).

Thanks again Señor Blanco!

Safari not recognizing pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.