Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from TM using Leopard

I followed the procedure to restore my system from Mr Pondinie from a leopard install disk because I got an error msg saying it could not restore from the installed system that can not be discussed. The restore successfully completed and on restart it would not reboot..I found the tip to use SL now but my problem is that I can not get the Leopard install disk out of the drive slot!! Please help!
I am writing this from my iPad 2.

MacBook Pro Summer 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 6:10 AM

12 replies

Apr 10, 2011 6:16 AM in response to tonal

I finally got it out by holding th e eject key and the start key at the same time and it ejected..now I got the black screen telling me to restart which it not do so I am dead in the water..do I try to use the SL install disk now and follow tip 18 on Pondini's list of TM suggestion?

Apr 10, 2011 6:36 AM in response to tonal

My current state: TM restored (many hours over night) a OS 10.6.7 SL system using a Leopard install disk because it would not use a SL install disk. After a successful restore msg, I tried to restart as per black screen and it did not reboot. Found tip E8 Tm troubleshooting..where it suggests to now install SL .do I have to use the installer utility to restore AGAIN from my TM? I think not..is that correct?

Apr 10, 2011 7:58 AM in response to tonal

Sorry we lost contact before; I kept waiting for a post to appear in the other forum . . .

I did not suggest installing from Leopard. That may work, but likely won't be trouble-free. 😟

Try just installing Snow Leopard from your SL Install disc (that shouldn't affect anything else). That may work. Then install the "combo" update to get back to 10.6.7.

Apr 10, 2011 8:18 AM in response to Pondini

Yes I knew I was supposed to use the SL install disk but it would not start as per the error msg I mentioned before. I could not use the other forum because my iPad2 does not have a link to it, thus my question this forum.. I will use the SL install disk a nd install the 10.6.7 combo pack...

Apr 10, 2011 8:41 AM in response to tonal

Are you talking about this?
|

User uploaded file

If so, that's a +kernel panic.+

I'm afraid what you're going to have to do is start up from the Snow Leopard disc and completely reformat your internal HD. See #1 in [Formatting, Partitioning, Verifying, and Repairing Disks|http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/DU.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of the +Using Snow Leopard+ forum).

Then you should be able to install OSX from your Snow Leopard disc.

When it starts up, you might be able to use +Setup Assistant+ to recover your stuff from your Time Machine backups, but ONLY if you never did any backups of the beta software. See [Setting up a new Mac from an old one or its backups|http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/Setup.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of the +Snow Leopard > Installation and Setup+ forum).

If you DID do any backups of the beta software, select +Do not transfer my information now+ on the first screen and set up a user account. Use exactly the same information as the Admin account on your backups.

When your Mac starts up again, you should be able to view the backups, and restore from your last 10.6.7 backup. But you can't do that all at once; you'll have to restore the contents of one sub-folder in your home folder at a time (Desktop, Documents, Library, etc.).

Apr 10, 2011 9:38 AM in response to Pondini

James..I am not familiar with this..sorry. It worked with the c depressed..I am now installing SL...that was my only option...I will then install combo to get back to 10.6.7..I did not reformat since I did not have options on the provided screen to do this...hope this is correct...I was considering traveling 3 hours to an Apple genius store.. I really need that data on my TM... Obviously I am not a good candidate for beta testing ... Someone nominated me and so I volunteered...big mistake..glad I have the iPad2 else I really would be in trouble.

Apr 10, 2011 10:16 AM in response to tonal

tonal wrote:
James..I am not familiar with this..sorry. It worked with the c depressed..I am now installing SL...that was my only option...I will then install combo to get back to 10.6.7..I did not reformat since I did not have options on the provided screen to do this...hope this is correct...

Your Mac may start up normally, and you can log on to your main account. Then download and install the "combo" update.

If it doesn't, yes, you'll have to start over. Reformat your internal HD per the yellow box in #1 of [Formatting, Partitioning, Verifying, and Repairing Disks|http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/DU.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of the +Using Snow Leopard+ forum). Then install OSX again on the empty drive.

When it restarts again, use +Setup Assistant+ to transfer your stuff if you didn't do backups of the beta software, or set up an account, per my previous post.

Obviously I am not a good candidate for beta testing

That's not necessarily true; a wide variety of users is a good idea.

I don't mean to be critical, but what did you make of this paragraph on the invitation?
IMPORTANT: We do not recommend installing pre-release software on personal-critical and/or business-critical systems. Backups should be maintained to mitigate data loss in the event of an application or system crash. <Vendor> is not liable for malfunctions resulting from the installation of this software. Furthermore, <vendor> makes no guarantee that data created or modified by this software will be compatible with future versions.

You're not the first to either ignore or not fully understand that; I suspect it could be worded better. PLEASE let us know if/how you interpreted it, so others may not make the same mistakes.

Apr 10, 2011 12:58 PM in response to Pondini

James, criticism of the beta warning is deserved and I did read it.. I am a 27 yr retired veteran of IBM and worked as a VM/CP bug fixer and coder for mainframes for years and was very aware of software and hardware ESPs (early ship programs) and their inherit code, process and function limitations. I simply did not think that Parallels and my new printer would not work at all.. If I was a more seasoned Apply user, I would have carved out a partition (did not know how to do) and then test the new OS there rather than overlaying my personal production OS.. In the very short time (2 hours) that I ran the beta, I opened 2 bugs to the developer team...
Anyway I was able to use the restore I did overnight after re-installing SL and the 10.6.7 combo pack and repaired permissions as per your documented instructions. I really appreciate your rapid response to my forum questions today and wish Apple luck with their new release.. I will upgrade with the masses from now on and leave the testing to younger, more brilliant, and current IT folks...

Apr 10, 2011 1:03 PM in response to tonal

tonal wrote:
. . .
Anyway I was able to use the restore I did overnight after re-installing SL and the 10.6.7 combo pack and repaired permissions as per your documented instructions.

Yay! Glad it's sorted out.

I'll relay your comments about the warning; maybe we can get them changed so nobody else will have such a hassle.

Restore from TM using Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.