Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime 10 Close Window

Is there any way to close a widow in QuickTime 10 without quitting and starting the programme again? I know this has been asked before, but no solutions have been proposed.

Black Intel MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 11:05 AM

14 replies

Apr 20, 2011 2:11 AM in response to Dreaded Neil

Had the same problem: Close Window in the menu was permanently greyed out and there was no close button in the window title bar (or any other buttons for that matter).

Trashing the Quicktime preference files solved the problem for me.

Quit Quicktime, then in the Finder, go into your user folder, Library folder, Preferences and search for "quicktime" while limiting the search scope to the “Preferences” folder and “File Name” (using the search options at the top of the window), then select the files listed and trash them, and restart Quicktime.

Apr 20, 2011 2:19 AM in response to tanner1294

Hiding an application doesn't close it's open windows, it just hides them from view … but they're still open and active, and if a movie is playing in them it remains playing when hidden even though you can't see it (you can still hear it though). The same is true for pretty much all apps and windows. In Safari windows, banners and flash animations and javascript applications in hidden windows keep running and slowing the machine down and draining the battery even when hidden or otherwise out of view. So there's a lot to be said for actually closing a window rather than just hiding it.

All of this may change when Lion is released and apps are rewritten to take advantage of the new OS features that will make MacOS work more like iOS.

Aug 3, 2011 12:00 AM in response to Dreaded Neil

I've been having this issue since Snow Leopard... Lion it got worse because it restores the previous window even when you quit so I was inspired to try to fix it and was able to do so deleting the .plist

Quit the Quicktime.app

Finder > Go > hold option key and click Library > open the Preferences. In the ~/Library/Preferences and delete the com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.plist and you will get an option to hit an x on hover in the upper left of the window and Command+W will work

I am guessing the MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoTitlebar set to -1 was a problem

Aug 15, 2011 10:40 AM in response to Dreaded Neil

Alexander Robinson1 is correct; you don't need to delete all your preferences - just set them up correctly.

You just need to type this into a terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGCinematicWindowDebugForceNoTitlebar 0

This turns on the title bar of the movies you are opening (it is not there at the moment I am sure). For some reason, when the titlebar is absent the Close option on the File menu is also unavailable - that is really rather daft, but there you go.

In order to prevent persistent windows between innovations, you also need this:

defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false

Oct 6, 2013 9:29 AM in response to mattue

Yes - this greyed out thing is a complete time wasting pain. There seem to be teams of software experts inventing new time wasting things with every generation of OS X - they probably haven't got enough to do and they should sack a few!

It is particularly frustrating in Lion etc due to it always reopening windows when they are not shut down (a feature I don't ever want - can be switched off in an obscure tab in General Preferences but why? Making extra work for us - a concept those bored sorftware engineers don't seem to grasp).

So in summary - now whenever I open Quicktime 10 I have hundreds of older files that open too because I can't close them down. Brilliant Apple - give yourselves a medal.

QuickTime 10 Close Window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.