6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2012 12:16 PM by davidfrompender island
crumbbun Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I was using the Console Message to monitor action on an app. I noticed that I continually get the following message. It apparently is some application that I no longer have on the MAC that is trying to load every 10 seconds and fails. I have searched for it, but I do not find any refernence on my MAC to the app in question. I do not know what is calling the app to launch so I can delete it. Any help would be appreciated.

4/10/11 2:26:07 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[381] (org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobilefsutil[2454]) Exited with exit code: 1
4/10/11 2:26:07 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[381] (org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobilefsutil) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
4/10/11 2:26:17 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[381] (org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobilefsutil[2455]) posixspawn("/Library/iphonedisk/mobile_fsutil", ...): No such file or directory

iMac i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • captfred Level 7 Level 7 (26,265 points)
    Look for the program in your startup items, System Preferences > accounts > Login items. If not there then try in Macintosh HD/Users/your userid/Library/LaunchAgents.

Regards,
    Captfred
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (147,110 points)
    At some point you or someone installed something with a name like "iPhoneDisk." It probably came from a web site in the domain thebends.org. Download the distribution file and look for an uninstaller. If you don't find one, contact the developer.
  • allen.porter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, I am the developer of iPhoneDisk.  You may want to check if the file /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.thebends.iphone.mobile_fs_util.plist or /Library/LaunchAgents/org.thebends.iphone.mobile_fs_util.plist exist -- remove them and restart and you should be good to go.  Let me know if you have futher trouble.

• davidfrompender island Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

org.thebends.iphone.mobile_fs_util.plist crashes every few seconds, as shown in my  system.log.  The forum suggestions here and other places haven't worked for me and I've followed their directions carefully.  Problems seem to have begun with Mountain Lion, a couple weeks ago.  I know others are experiencing this problem but many hours spent on it haven't helped. 

Removing org.thebends.iphone.mobile_fs_util.plist from either Library doesn't work because they are regenerated when I reboot.  I have tried reinstalling the program and using it's uninstall protocol; that didn't work either.  My computer is highly compromised and achingly slow.

• allen.porter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello! I'll do whatever it takes to help you fix this problem.  I'm not an expert in launch agents but will try to do what I can to help.  I just performed a fresh install of iphone disk with Lion and am unable to reproduce the problem unfortunately.  I have not yet installed Mountain Lion, but I can try that next.   Perhaps we can diagnose the problem together here, or feel free to email me any time at allen at thebends.org.

So, from the command line when I run "launchctl" I can typically see

$ launchctl

launchd% list

<... stuff scrolls by including org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobile_fs_util ... >

launchd% list org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobile_fs_util

{

"Label" = "org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobile_fs_util";

"LimitLoadToSessionType" = "Aqua";

"OnDemand" = false;

"LastExitStatus" = 0;

"PID" = 196;

"TimeOut" = 30;

"ProgramArguments" = (

"/Library/iphonedisk/mobile_fs_util";

"iPhoneDisk";

"/Library/iphonedisk/iPhoneDisk.icns";

"com.apple.afc";

);

};

launchd% stop org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobile_fs_util

launchd% remove org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobile_fs_util

launchd% list org.thebends.iphonedisk.mobile_fs_util

launchctl list returned unknown response

At this point, the job should no longer be running if that worked.  That is basically what the uninstall script attempts to do, so having an error message if that doesn't work might give us some kind of clue.

Some other stuff you could try if that doesn't work (just as a test) is to rename the binary out of the way in /Library/iphonedisk/mobile_fs_util or copy /usr/bin/true in its place or something just to see what happens.

You can run this command to find all mentions of mobile_fs_util:

$ find /System -name \*mobile_fs_util\*

$ find /Library -name \*mobile_fs_util\*

• davidfrompender island Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you, Allen Porter; your short tutorial may be useful for future similar problems. 

I was able to solve the problem by simply deleting the line from the Launch list. 

Now I have to figure out how to stop my Time Capsule backup which has been a pervasive problem for the years I've used it.  No amount of "fixes" have stopped it from backing up sporadically, and I've haunted the forums in search of a permanent fix.  I've tried all the programs that profess to stop the automatic backups, but none work.

I'm also struggling with my auxiliary monitor which always started up with my Mac; now it isn't recognized about 75% of the time.  The monitor icon has disappeared from my menu bar, too.

Shutting-down (every night) has become a chore, too, I think since my Mountain Lion upgrade.  Many open programs prevent an unattended shutdown - like Chrome, Firefox, Aperture, OpenOffice and others.  None of these consistently prevent shutdown, and it doesn't matter if they are set up to open manually or automatically.  The lack of consistent behaviour reminds me of my early computing days and "ghosts-in-the-machine".

Attributable to Mountain Lion?  I have 4 gig memory, a roomy HD, everything is up to date, and I use the common cleanup techniques including Disk Utility.  Times like this I begin to yearn for a new, replacement computer and starting over...