Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up music in folders

HI,I am new to ipods in general, but I have had lots of other mp3 players. I like the ipod touch so far for the apps and stuff but hate the way it lists music and such. I have been searching for a while and have a large headache over this so I am just going to ask even though it may be a stupid question to people who have had a ipod for a while. All I want to do it put music into a folder on the ipod touch and it will list as a folder that I can put any music in and that I can play without a play list. I don't want it listed in album or artist or genre, I want to see Sataninc's favorites, that simple. I want to touch that and play the songs, not a big request in my eyes, every other mp3 player does it. Am I missing something or is this not possible on a ipod?? I hate that it list every song as album or artist, I have tons of song that is the only song from an album or artist and it list them one by one, the list is sickenly large and impossible to navigate through. If this isn't possible I may have to go back to my old mp3 player and give the ipod to the wife maybe she'll put up with it. Thank you all for any help you can give me.

Message was edited by: SatanInc

PC, Windows Vista

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 12:33 PM

3 replies

Apr 15, 2011 7:22 PM in response to SatanInc

Well on itunes push go up to the top left corner on file and push that you should be able to click on new folder name it what ever you want then you can drag all your music to it then you when you plug your ipod in it will just be a folder on it or you can make folder on your ipod by clicking on playlist and go to the top and pushing add playlist there you can add music from your ipod and make a playlist. Hope this helps.

Jan 12, 2014 6:51 AM in response to SatanInc

I have found the best way to do this is to open iTunes, Music, Songs, sort by Date Added (you may need to add this column), File, Add Folder to Library, let them import and highlight the newly added songs (use the shift key), right-click, Get Info, tick Album and enter a name.

Afterwards, you can also right-click, New Playlist from Selection to turn that album into a playlist. Now click iPhone, Sync and you should find all your songs by folder in either playlists or album names.

Unbeleivably, I cannot find an easier way of achieving a folder by folder method of importing mp3 files as I, like you, have gone from an simple mp3 player to the nightmare that is iTunes.

Setting up music in folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.