Skip navigation

Hot at the top of the screen in the back

583 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2011 8:44 PM by stedman1 RSS
Barb Norvell Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 10, 2011 5:36 PM
I read something in another post about the fan running constantly. I have never heard a fan running on mine. If I touch the back of the display at the top, it seems very hot to me. The bottom half is just warm, but the top half is hot. Is this supposed to be hot? Should there be a fan running? I purchased this in Sept. of 2010.
Imac-intell core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 4 GB memory
  • stedman1 Level 8 Level 8 (49,810 points)
    Apr 10, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to Barb Norvell)
    Barb Norvell wrote:
    I read something in another post about the fan running constantly. I have never heard a fan running on mine. If I touch the back of the display at the top, it seems very hot to me. The bottom half is just warm, but the top half is hot. Is this supposed to be hot? Should there be a fan running? I purchased this in Sept. of 2010.

Hi Barb: There will actually be 3 fans running. It is quite normal to feel the warmth at the top, as that is where the heat is exhausted. To check your temperatures, download, install and run iStat Pro. Link below.

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

Stedman
    MBP 1.83, 2gB RAM, iMac (Al) 2.4, 4gB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone4, iPod mini, iPod Touch, Apple TV
  • stedman1 Level 8 Level 8 (49,810 points)
    Apr 10, 2011 8:44 PM (in response to Barb Norvell)
    Hi Barb: The fans are very quiet, unless under high load, in which case the RPMs will increase. Under most circumstances I do not hear my fans.

Stedman
    MBP 1.83, 2gB RAM, iMac (Al) 2.4, 4gB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone4, iPod mini, iPod Touch, Apple TV

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.