3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2011 8:44 PM by stedman1
Barb Norvell Level 1 Level 1
I read something in another post about the fan running constantly. I have never heard a fan running on mine. If I touch the back of the display at the top, it seems very hot to me. The bottom half is just warm, but the top half is hot. Is this supposed to be hot? Should there be a fan running? I purchased this in Sept. of 2010.

Imac-intell core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 4 GB memory
Solved by stedman1 on Apr 10, 2011 8:44 PM Solved
Hi Barb: The fans are very quiet, unless under high load, in which case the RPMs will increase. Under most circumstances I do not hear my fans.Stedman
  • stedman1 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops
    Barb Norvell wrote:
    I read something in another post about the fan running constantly. I have never heard a fan running on mine. If I touch the back of the display at the top, it seems very hot to me. The bottom half is just warm, but the top half is hot. Is this supposed to be hot? Should there be a fan running? I purchased this in Sept. of 2010.

Hi Barb: There will actually be 3 fans running. It is quite normal to feel the warmth at the top, as that is where the heat is exhausted. To check your temperatures, download, install and run iStat Pro. Link below.

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

Stedman
  • Barb Norvell Level 1 Level 1
    Thanks, I did install that. It gives the rpm of the 3 fans, but I don't hear anything running. Am I supposed to hear them running?
  • stedman1 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops
    Hi Barb: The fans are very quiet, unless under high load, in which case the RPMs will increase. Under most circumstances I do not hear my fans.

Stedman