Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing SMTP server cannot connect

I am adding a new email from a new ISP.
The server I am instructed to use is smtp@q.com.
I have followed the instructions that qwest had given me to the letter and triple checked all settings and keystrokes but I cannot SEND mail. I can RECEIVE mail.
The Mail version I am using is 2.1.1.
What is the most current version that will run under 10.4?
What might I do to solve this? The server I am instructed to use is smtp@q.com.

Posted on Apr 10, 2011 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 10:41 AM

If the SMTP server does not belong to the internet provider, you need to add a port and a username and password to your outgoing mail server setting. The username typically is the e-mail address itself. The SMTP server itself does not have an @ symbol. It usually is the same as the POP3 or IMAP server, though sometimes is smtp.server.com. The port typically is 587, though sometimes is 2626, or 2662.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2011 10:41 AM in response to Jack Ball

If the SMTP server does not belong to the internet provider, you need to add a port and a username and password to your outgoing mail server setting. The username typically is the e-mail address itself. The SMTP server itself does not have an @ symbol. It usually is the same as the POP3 or IMAP server, though sometimes is smtp.server.com. The port typically is 587, though sometimes is 2626, or 2662.

Outgoing SMTP server cannot connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.