Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 9 and a Mackie D8B

I have a Mackie D8B mixer which can interface with Logic via MIDI and has a HUI layer that behaves like a Mackie HUI in that it offers 8 bankable faders. This works fine in that I can control fader, pan, mute, solo etc both using the D8B to control Logic and using Logic to move a physical fader.

OIt can also use any of its channels via MIDI Mapping to control Logic. There are 72 possible channels via layers. I am using the Master layer for this so only using faders at this point. What I am trying to do is create a layer where I can control volume quickly. So I have set up the D8B MIDI Map to Send/Receive and have got control of a fader in Logic. The problem I have is that I cannot control the fader from Logic. In my HUI layer this seems to work fine but not using this method.

Now the reason this is a problem is that I intended to use my HUI layer for fine adjustments and the Master layer to make quick volume changes (I have set Logic to receive on only Software Instruments for these Maps). However because the MIDI Mapped layer seems to be only sending data it does not refresh if I switch to HUI and make a change. What I mean is if I switch back to the Master layer that is mapped the fader positions do not update if they have been edited in the HUI layer.

So is there something else I have to do or is this a failing of MIDI Mapping? If there was a problem with my MIDI connections surely HUI would not behave? Or is it just not possible to control external hardware via MIDI unless its through an "External MIDI" channel (I have tried this too creating a Multi Instrument on the same MIDI Port/Channel and this did not work either).

Mac Pro 2.66 Quad, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Logic 9.1.3, Mackie D8B, MOTU 828 MKII

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 12:37 PM

6 replies

Apr 13, 2011 2:45 AM in response to upakrik

Its a MOTU MIDI Express 128 its an 8 port USB device. I do not think this is the problem as the HUI layer works fine both ways and uses the same port. If this was the issue I would have thought it would not work either. Been doing some more research and think its something to do with MIDI feedback to the D8B and I think Logic is not providing it to the MIDI mapped fader but is to the HUI layer as this is hard coded in the HUI plugin in Logic.

Apr 12, 2011 2:53 AM in response to UK Old Schooler

first, sorry for the stupid questions. (i sold my D8b a few years ago)
Do you have logic set up to send and receive in the controller preferences as both directions have to be checked?
I don't remember, but does the Mackie have more than 1 assignable midi I/O? if you do then each bank can be assigned it's own channel (A,B,C,D)up to 3 banks of 8 for the HUI emulation per layer.
Aren't there 4 bank layers of 24 on the D8b for a total of 96?

rick

Apr 12, 2011 3:45 AM in response to upakrik

Yes it is set to send and receive on a dedicated MIDI Port. The D8B only has one MIDI I/O so can only emulate one HUI unit. What I am trying to figure is why bidirectional communication works on the HUI layer but not on the MIDI Mapped layer, is this possible.

I know HUI uses MIDI but maybe there is some special programming in the plugin that makes it transmit and receive MIDI?

Apr 13, 2011 2:07 AM in response to UK Old Schooler

what midi interface are you using between the D8b and your mac. i'm running a mixed logic m24 and use an m-audio midisport 4x4 to interface the it and the mac via usb. i had a motu..something (i just turned 61 and so has my memory) and it was very erratic on the sending and receiving of data; usually worked on. the send to logic but not on the return side. so i guess my guess it's probably hardware compatibility issue.

rick

Apr 19, 2011 1:43 AM in response to upakrik

I also noticed led metering was not working in the HUI layer on the D8B (did not even notice it cold do this until I saw someone else's video). Anyway after lots of tests discovered if I used Logic 9.1.1 they work but do not in 9.1.3 so something got broken in the update as I reinstalled the pdate and it still does not work.

Can anyone else confirm HUI has problems as of v 9.1.3?

Logic 9 and a Mackie D8B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.