Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you have an allowance account without a monthly allowance?

My goal is to find out if I could I create a new allowance (not based on an existing iTunes Store account), that would end up having no monthly allowance? I would use this account to gift apps to it and there would be no monthly build up of iTunes store credit for no reason.

Here are some facts to backup my theory, but I wanted to find out if anyone knew if this was possible.

1.) I see on Apple's support page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2105 that is says when you are creating an allowance account, you have the option to have the allowance be available immediately OR on the first of the upcoming month.
2.) It also says on that support page that you can manage your allowance accounts, like "change the monthly amount, suspend, and cancel any established allowances".

So my thought was to create an allowance account that starts at the first of the month, then go into the management section and try to do one of the following:
1.) Change the monthly amount to $0 (if that is possible), but be allowed to get free apps and update existing apps (gifted ones).
2.) Suspend the allowance, if it allowed the account to still install free apps and update existing apps (gifted ones).
OR
3.) Cancel the allowance amount, but leave the account still able to get free apps and update existing apps (gifted ones).

If anyone can help me out with any of this info or your experiences, that would be great!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 3,1, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 3:43 PM

2 replies

Oct 28, 2011 10:55 AM in response to ndutyme

There is no iTunes "allowance" account.

There is a iTunes account. All iTunes accounts are the same.

You can set up to send an allowance to an iTunes account.

If you gift a movie, app, song to someone and they don't have an iTunes account, they can create a new iTunes account with the gift.

Or you can set up an iTunes account first then gift to it.

You can create an account with no credit card info -> http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

or set up an iTunes account with a CC then immediately remove the CC after creating the account.

Can you have an allowance account without a monthly allowance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.