Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code 1 was returned by the audio driver :( randomly!

hey all! ive been getting this messege "error code 1 was returned by the audio driver" almost every time i try and merge tracks, bounce track in place, bounce region in place, or mixdown stereo regions per tracks. NOT when i do a real song bounce though. i feel like im noticing my computer is taking a long time to copy audio files into logic projects...i dont know if they are related though. but this error code 1 thing has been hapening CONSTANTLY. the thing is...nothing has changed. i havnt installed or changed anything on my system. its happening on ALL of my old projects, and MOST of my new ones. ive tried disabling all third party AUs and it still happens. do i have bad ram? a bad drive? do i need to reinstall everything? thanks so much in advance!

mac pro 8 core 2.8 (5400), Mac OS X (10.6.5), 6gb ram, 4 internal HDs

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 4:52 PM

14 replies

Apr 13, 2011 3:27 PM in response to ian.van

im still looking for an answer, ive tried clearing caches, repairing permissions, doing volume/file repairs, nothing has helped.

im just looking to avoid a full reinstall...which will set me back ALOT of time at this moment.
ive confirmed it happens on new and old projects alike.

what is going on?! please help!

Jan 29, 2013 1:41 PM in response to balancedcreativity

Very difficult to troubleshoot when there's no information regarding Computer/Operating System/Audio Interface....etc Allt hat does make a difference... it could be something like upgrading the OS 10.7 to 10.8 and a possible conflict with audio drivers not liking 10.8, or a corrupted project, or a bad plugin.

What is differenent between a Logic that bounced correctly and a Logic that gives an error?

Jan 29, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Pancenter

You're totally right. My bad.

I'm using Logic Pro 9.1.8 on a 2.4 8-core Mac Pro running 10.8.2, with an RME Multiface audio interface connected to a HDSPe PCI card.

The error message is generated when I execute an offline bounce in Logic. I haven't tried a realtime bounce yet, as the file is 45 min long. Buffer size is set to maximum, and all plugs in the session are Logic plugs, no 3rd party being used.

I was attempting to export my 2-mix as a .wav file (session is 24-48), and an .AAC export version as well. I tried .aiff, .aac only, .wav only... nada. Restarted the machine, and it worked. Then tried again, didn't work.

I zapped the firmward on the PCIe card, which was already up-to-date, and put out a tech support msg to RME to confirm compatibility with 10.8.

I upgraded directly from 10.6 to 10.8, and have been running through different processes to make sure that it will stand the test of a full-on project. I made a Time machine backup of SL before running the upgrade, just to make sure that I have a backup if I need to downgrade.

Let me know if you need anymore info, and thanks!

Jan 29, 2013 5:52 PM in response to balancedcreativity

Nice system, I use RME hardware as well.

I don't know how much you've perused the Logic boards recently but there have been some problems with the 10.8x release, some folks are fine but there have definitely been more Logic related problems with this OS release.

It varies though.. less performance, graphic lags... etc.

Since RME builds their drivers to pretty close tolerences I'm guessing there's probably a slight conflict with 10.8.2. Unfortunately OSX 10.8x runs a lot of background processes and is not as efficient as Snow Leopard, (which is what I'm sticking with).

Have you tried it with a smaller buffer, sometimes the large buffer is not the best idea as the driver is not optimized to run at a higher bufferlevel.

Also, If you're running the process buffer at medium try both the high & low settings.

Jan 29, 2013 9:06 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for the troubleshooting options. Seems the RME driver I had was not the latest version. I've updated to v 3.04, and it seems to have done the trick so far. I tried an offline bounce with both .wav & .aac at the same time, and no problems.

I remain cautiously optimistic until I get a chance to run it through the grinder. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks again!

Mar 1, 2013 1:10 PM in response to ian.van

Ok, I don't know if this solves your problem... but as for what was triggering the 'Error code 1' message on my computer... Here's the update.

After much troubleshooting, the cause of this error in my setup was the Highpoint RocketRaid 2314 eSata PCIe card.

The Highpoint RocketRaid driver is included in OS X 10.8 with no additional drivers / installers to run. However, it isn't compatible with the old driver when upgrading the kernel (ie. 10.6 - 10.8)

I was bouncing to an external drive connected through eSata to the RocketRaid PCIe card... error message. Time Machine backup connected through eSata... error message. The drives were being dismounted rudely, or losing connection momentarily and reconnecting, resulting in the error messages.

Here are the instructions from Highpoint tech support to manually uninstall the embedded driver, and then reinstall the old Snow Leopard driver for use in Mountain Lion (10.8)... which works as it's suppposed to.

1. Go the folder System > Library > Extensions >, look for the file HighPointRR.kext and delete that file.

2. Second, download the driver from the link below, then run the Un-install script to remove any previous installed driver.

http://www.hptmac.com/productfiles/bios_driver/hptrr-mac106-driver-v11...

Then re-install the driver, but do not reboot or restart the system.

3. Third, download the webGUI from the link below. And run the un-install script to remove any previous installed web GUI.

http://www.hptmac.com/productfiles/WebGUI-Mac-v168-091120.dmg

Then re-install the web GUI and reboot after installation is complete.

Once the system has booted up, open a browser and type URL to log into web GUI.

http://localhost:7402

User Name: RAID

Password: hpt

I hope that this helps someone!

error code 1 was returned by the audio driver :( randomly!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.