Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange version of sleep mode?

I close my laptop without logging out, and the laptop always goes to sleep. The light will slowly pulsate. When I opened the screen, though, the computer was unresponsive, the screen dark, and no light was on in the front.

My battery recently expanded, so I don't have a battery; I'm not sure if a battery plays a role in storing memory or something.

I pushed the power button and the screen turned start-up blue—but there was no chime—and then my desktop appeared with what looked like a light blue, slightly transparent layer over it. A progress bar appeared, and the computer seemed to be waking itself up from a deeper sleep than normal.

Everything's fine.

But what on earth did I just witness? Can I shut my laptop screen again in the future, or is my computer telling me it would rather be shut down completely? Again, I'm running off wall power, no battery installed.

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 8:58 AM

Perfectly normal.
It's called 'Safe Sleep' mode, and RAM contents are written to disk.

Details here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/10328.html
1 reply

Strange version of sleep mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.