Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my iPhone - prevent from theif turning it off with passcode?

G'day,
Due recently I lost my iPhone 3GS as fall out of my tracksuit pants at the shopping centre while kneeing down and 45 seconds after I stood up = iPhone is gone. I immediately calling my iPhone from work's phone it was switched off. I had no hope to call it. I did have the passcode with 4 digit code on, but you still can switch it off.

Since now I have iPhone 4 setup with mobileme, and my wife's iphone setup as well so i can track both. But both iphones still can switch it off without passcode.

What I am asking, if a thief picks it up and does a runner - 2 minute later it can be switched off that way I cannot track it. Is there a way to install passcode at switch off so I can track it if it happens again.

Cheers

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 4:35 AM

17 replies

Apr 12, 2011 4:53 AM in response to Tristan Merritt

Sorry, no, there is no way to disable the ability to power off the iPhone.

It is one of the limitations of any sort of find-my-device approach - the device must be on and it must be within range of some form of network data connection.

Also note that if a thief is savvy enough to know to power off an iPhone to disable find-my-iPhone, he probably also knows to not power it back on until he is somewhere where it cannot make a network connection. Then he can muck about with it at his ease. At the least, he can just restore it as new, and then your stuff is gone including find-my-iPhone settings, and it is his to do with as he pleases.

While find-my-iPhone is a good feature with some valid use, it is simply not something you should count on to find a lost or stolen device - it is not at all infallible.

Nov 22, 2011 4:05 AM in response to wjosten

You can't. But what you can do is, when the buttons have been pressed, tell the operating system to take the dual button button press as a request to switch off the phone. At that point you tell the OS to generate a passcode request screen.

Currently the OS takes the dual button press as a simple request to power down the phone and just switchesit off with no validation

May 15, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Tristan Merritt

So there is a way, and I realise this may be coming a year late, this only applies to Jailbroken idevices also. An app called iLocalis.

iLocalis is and app that transmits the location of the phone discretely at set intervals to a server, it had user defined intervals and a web access terminal much the same as Find My iPhone HOWEVER it has an option to disable the power off button.

With the disable power off enabled you can hold the power button until you are blue in the face and get nowhere but locking the iPhone. Also, holding the home and power button will trigger a soft reset, but the iPhone will power on to the pass code screen regardless. The only way to prevent the phone being tracked with iLocalis under Jailbreak are:

Remove the sim card, location would be stored on the phone and uploaded at next date connection.

Wait until the phone dies.

The buttons themselves are prices of hardware, but they don't Activate hardware on the phone, it's just a machine executing a command on the iOS so it can be changed, by Apple... Or a jailbreak developer. Of which I am not.

Hope this helps! ( for my first post )

Jun 11, 2012 4:39 PM in response to Tristan Merritt

People say that thiefs are not that smart. In fact they are not always desparet thiefs out there. Most of them are make living of this and see this as a job.

So what I'm saying is most of them are smart and know to turn off phones right after make the run. BUT, not all of them know how to hard reset an iphone.

By including a closing code to the regular swich off screen would give almost a 50% bigger chance to prevent switching off the phone ang give a bigger chance to track the phone.

Better than nothing right 😉

OR, you could just program the gps module to be active all the time. Also while it is turned off.

I could live with the loss of a bit energy instead of the possibility of never seeing my phone again.

Find my iPhone - prevent from theif turning it off with passcode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.