Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Classic on Tiger

I'm trying to install the Classic environment v9.1 I downloaded form Apple's site, but i'm getting this error:

[IMG] http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8617/regioncapture1.png[/IMG]

[IMG] http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6396/regioncapture2.png[/IMG]

I have never installed this before, so this is all new to me. So how do I go about doing so? Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 6:30 AM

18 replies

Apr 12, 2011 10:03 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

See KB Article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186 Don't install a version of Mac OS X earlier than that which came with your Mac

That doesn't apply to Classic usage.

Classic, OS 9.x, is not supported with Leopard 10.5 nor Snow Leopard 10.6, & will not run on an Intel processor Mac.

Did you see the screenshots the OP posted? One of them clearly showed the Classic Support application looking for a system, which means the machine and OS supports it.

(57754)

Apr 12, 2011 10:17 AM in response to Niel

"One of them clearly showed the Classic Support application looking for a system, *which means the machine and OS supports it."
Now I am really confused! User uploaded file The OP system info as noted is *Mac OS X (10.6.2)* (even though he/she posted in the Tiger forum area). Since when is classic compatible w/SL? I couldn't find anything in KB, only the one Tom linked.

EDIT: Never mind. Just noticed the OP "Topic." More confusion on my part.

Message was edited by: Baby Boomer (USofA)

Apr 12, 2011 10:17 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Since when is classic compatible w/SL?

It isn't. If the information in the main body of the post clearly contradicts that in the system information line, I ignore that line as the OP may not have changed it for that specific post. I generally ignore the forum a specific question is posted in.

Basically, the OP is using Tiger or earlier even though the system info says Snow Leopard.

(57755)

Apr 12, 2011 10:54 AM in response to mknabster

Did you get the original install discs along with it? One of them has what you need. From that computer's manual:
------------------
Installing Classic Support and Other Applications

Use the “Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test” to install Classic support and additional applications that were not included on Mac OS X install disc 1. Install Classic support if you want to use Mac OS 9 applications with your computer.
Follow these steps to install Classic support or the additional bundled applications:
1 Back up your essential files, if possible.
2 Insert the “Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test” disc that came with your computer.
3 Double-click “Install Extra Software.”
4 Follow the onscreen instructions.
5 After selecting the destination disk for installation, continue following the onscreen instructions for a basic installation or click “Customize” to choose the applications you want to install.
--------------------

The original OS was Panther, but I suspect you could still use the "Install Extra Software" package even though the computer has now been upgraded to Tiger. If not, you could probably use Pacifist to extract the OS 9 System Folder from it.

If you don't have the original install discs you might still be able to get a replacement set from Apple.

Apr 12, 2011 8:00 PM in response to mknabster

If you don't have access to another Mac with an OS 9 system folder, this disc selling on E-bay for $9.99 + shipping would likely work for you and would be cheaper than getting replacement original install discs from Apple:

[Power Mac G5 Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test|http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Mac-G5-Additional-Software-Apple-Hardware-Test-/ 130371754473?pt=LH DefaultDomain0&hash=item1e5ac319e9]

From the description, the PowerMac-G5 model that this disc shipped with is an earlier model than yours and so the Apple Hardware Test on the disc might not work for you. However the Classic/OS9 installer package on it is probably not machine-specific and will probably still work.

I say this because I used to have an iMac-G5 that shipped with Panther, and I still have the original "Additional Software & AHT" disc that came with it. As a test, I just mounted that disc on my 2009 Intel Mini running Snow Leopard and ran the "Install Additional Software" package from there. The computer doesn't need to boot from that disc to run that package. The installer happily installed the OS9 System Folder and the Applications (Mac OS9) folder onto my Intel Mini startup volume without complaint, which is what you would need. Of course I can't actually run Classic from my Intel SL Mini, and so I deleted these folders after the install test.

Installing Classic on Tiger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.