Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up a Brother MFC-8890DW wireless printer with an Airport Extreme

How to set up a Brother MFC-8890DW wireless printer with an Airport Extreme 802.11n in just 25 easy steps!

There are three stages: set up the Airport Extreme; connect the printer to the network; and then add the printer to your Macintosh's list of printers.

Set up the Airport Extreme.
Open your "Applications" folder.
Open the "Utilities" folder.
Open "Airport Utility."
Click "Continue" five times to get to the security settings screen.
Click the radio button "Change these settings."
Enter the name of your network.
Select "WPA/WPA2 Personal" (or "None" if you don't need security). "WPA2 Personal" doesn't seem to work with this printer.
Enter your password. The easiest passwords to enter on your printer are 8 characters long, with several 0's (zeros) and the rest lowercase letters.
Click "Continue" three more times and then click "Finish."
Wait a few minutes for your Airport to restart.

Connect the printer to the network.
Click the "Menu" button.
Scroll down to "7. Network" and click OK.
On the "Network" screen, scroll down to "2. WLAN" and click OK.
On the "WLAN" screen, scroll down to "2. Setup Wizard" and click OK.
On the "Setup Wizard" screen, wait for your printer to find the SSID.
On the SSID screen select your network and click OK. Don't select your "Guest Network" unless your computer is also on the "Guest Network." These seem to be separate networks, i.e., a printer on the guest network isn't found by a computer on the secure network.
On the "Auth. Select" screen, select "WPA/WPA2-PSK" and click OK.
On the "Encryption Type?" screen, select "TKIP" and click OK.
On the "PASS:" screen, enter your password and click OK.
Wait a minute and your printer should show that it has connected to your network.

Add the printer to your Macintosh's list of printers.
Under the apple in the upper left corner of your screen select "System Preferences."
Under "Hardware" click on "Print & Fax."
Optional: use the "-" button below the list of printers to remove printer drivers you no longer use.
Click the "+" button below the list of printers and you should see your printer listed in a new window.
Select your printer and click "Add."

You should now be able to print wirelessly. The first thing you should print is these instructions and then tape them to the side of the printer so you know what to do next time you can't print!

Mac Pro (early 2009); 13" MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 8:41 AM

9 replies

Jun 13, 2011 2:33 AM in response to Thomas Kehoe

Thanks for the detailed instructions Thomas. I am considering purchasing the Brother MFC-8890DW. Can you tell me if you have been able to use the scanner function in Mac OS X?

I have been looking at several multifunction printers and for many brands the scanning function does not work in Mac OS, but the specifications for this one suggests that the scanning does work.

Many thanks in advance.

May 1, 2012 5:03 PM in response to Blackpsalm

I use the scan function with my MFC-8890DW all the time. There is no problem using it from a Mac. There were some problems initially in using the Brother Control Center 2 software, but their website keeps decent instructions for set up. Make sure you have the most recent updates, especially if you are using Lion.

The only thing that I am disappointed in with the MFC is that you can't receive a fax on a Mac (you can, however, do so on a PC).

Aug 9, 2013 4:51 PM in response to Thomas Kehoe

I have switched my networks from a linksys g router to an AirPort Extreme n router. The printer worked flawlessly on the linksys network. I have tried every method reasonable including resetting the 8690DW network settings and following the above steps. It all goes to plan, it finds my SSID, I enter the password correctly and it delivers me the error, "connection fail". Any and all help appreciated.

Dec 21, 2013 10:44 PM in response to Thomas Kehoe

on a 8690dw with and airport extreme using my ipad mini

I have the instructions to the tee but my pass word is a little more complicated so I ditched the Semi-colon and re set up all my other wireless computers with the new password then I realized I had not clicked done after my password reset on the airport extreme. that finished, I returned the wpa security to "None", Reset the printer just incase there were ghost, every time i enter the password it still wont connect

Yes, this wireless was working on the frontier modem/router/ be fore I thought that airport extreme would be "fun"

Is there something in the wireless setting that im missing that is different on the 8690 than the 8890.

I am just about at the level of exercising some pyrotechnics experiments on this printer.

any stupid things I could be missing.

How to set up a Brother MFC-8890DW wireless printer with an Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.