Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this iMac too old, now, and should I run any virus scanning software?

I've had this iMac PowerPCG4 since it was new, 'way back in 2003. It has gotten so slow, and it's getting hard to find any software updates or continuing support now.

I'm wondering what opinions you have about some simple ways (for a fairly non-techie person) to improve the performance vs. shelling out $$ for a new Mac,

and

is there a good virus scan I should run, occasionally, just to be sure I haven't downloaded some malware?

Thanks, everyone!

iMac PowerPCG4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.25 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 1:07 PM

8 replies

Apr 12, 2011 7:50 PM in response to Elainestar

The potential for upgrade and the path to do so, varies with the model iMac G4.

If your computer is an iMac G4 1.25GHz with 17" or 20" display, it could use
up to 2GB (2048MB) of RAM; +if both slots see upgrade+ to the max 1024MB.

This requires a deeper effort to open the computer & replace the original RAM
in the factory installed location, near the clock battery and main processor.

Another upgrade, would be a replacement larger capacity ATA/PATA hard disk drive;
one with more storage space and a larger buffer or cache; with 7200 RPM spin rate.

• iMac G4 Take-apart for Drive and Ram upgrades
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/imacg4/imacg4takeapart.html

• mr tote's iMac G4 take-apart: with click on images, & info
http://www.mrtotes.co.uk/page1/page1.html

If you have a 1.25GHz iMac G4 with LCD panel on chrome arm, the RAM may
be upgraded using two chips, each of suitable specifications and type, for an
increase of 1024MB per slot, and a total installed of 2048MB. Each part has
a different number, since one is 184-pin and the other a 200-pin, and so on.

An example of a source for both RAM parts, to specifications:
http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2447

{An older iMac G4 with slower PPC processor, may only see a RAM upgrade
to the original standard 1024MB (1GB) with a 512MB per each slot.}

See and compare Mac specifications and information on various models,
online at everymac.com - or via download free app, http://mactracker.ca

So, there are ways to speed up an older Mac. However, running some scanning
software would probably only slow it down even more; most commercial AV
software will not detect the unknown and unfound agent in the wild, so it is not
very helpful. You can get ClamXAV, to scan for things, and other free methods
as discussed in Apple Discussions. Note the discussion thread by klaus1 here:

• Topic : Trojan Detection and Removal:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1764179&tstart=0

Sources of malware include facebook, and some email provider links;
such as hotmail, and then there are trickster sites where you may be
lead to believe you are visiting a trusted site, log in, to find otherwise.

I have no scanning software (retail) installed on my Macs; and have
not used commercial software since last running boot Mac OS 9.2.2.

Sources for hardware upgrade parts should be sought through the
suppliers who know Apple parts, service and compatibility. OWC is
a good online source, and some items may be available there. Their
web page for RAM may not show both iMac G4 RAM chips, however.

I've gotten the correct RAM (by part number) from oempcworld.com
by mail, for upgrading the iMac I mentioned above, and an iBook G4.
The upgrade slot for the 'mid-2005' iBook G4 uses the same 200-pin
RAM PC2700/DDR333 SO-DIMM as the iMac G4 1.25 does; btw.

So do some double-checking to be sure, and then decide if you
should also get and use an externally enclosed FireWire drive
unit that can support use of and booting from OS X clones; to do
a complete bootable backup of everything on your computer, &
then decide if you should re-install the OS X, or upgrade hardware
and then move the clone back into the computer, into a new hard
disk drive; or other options. Note OWC has a nice external FW HDD.

If someone were to gift me this, I'd not complain; I'd test it for sure!
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATAFW800_FW400USB

Anyway... hopefully this helps.
Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 12, 2011 8:20 PM in response to Elainestar

Yeah, as suggested, maxing out the RAM will improve performance, but you are using Leopard and the performance of it on G4s is not fantastic. Installing and running Onyx every fortnight or so can lift your system performance.

Malware may be a concern, but unlikely to be the issue slowing down your internet. If you are using Safari go to the 'Safari' menu at the top and and empty the cache. Do it a few times and restart Safari. This 'may' help improve internet performance.

Your iMac may or may not have many years of computing left in it, but an upgrade to an Intel Mac and Snow Leopard is a totally different world of computing.

Apr 13, 2011 7:14 AM in response to Elainestar

It has gotten so slow,

Depends on what part of the usage is slow. Many people see slowdowns in viewing web-based video and think the entire computer is slowing, even when other functions have not changed. The truth is that few if any Macs with a G4 processor are handling web video well.

Another thing to check is free space on the hard drive. Too little (about 15 percent or less) can really slow the works, especially considering that you have only 512MB RAM. I feel that Leo needs at least a gig of RAM.

Look over this list of excellent articles, focusing on those with "maintenance' in the title:

http://thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html

Apr 24, 2011 1:13 PM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer, Silly rabbit, and Allan Jones,

Wonderful information!!!! I'm sorry to take so long to respond -- your insight is very helpful to me, so I want you to know this wasn't a trifling request for help.😉

As I said, I'm sort of half-techie and half-not-so-sure. I'll repeat my info here, to make it easier if anyone else reads this: PowerPC G4 (3.3), 1.25 GHz, 1 cpu, 256 KB L2 cache, 512MB memory, 167 MHz bus speed, 17-in. flat screen, MacOSx 10.5.8. I currently have about 21.5% free space on my hard drive.

My problem has become the fact that the Mac runs sluggishly these days no matter what I'm doing. Just doing some basic word-processing off-line, or reading email (I've tried Safari, Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, Opera), or viewing videos. I periodically boot from my latest os disk and repair disk (never found any problems), and then I repair disk permissions every time I install new software. I don't use much extra software -- I'm pretty careful about what I use.

I'm going to admit the awful here (and, yes, I am blushing): I haven't exactly been so careful about backups, other copying a few folders over to disks. I haven't done good backups in a long time, so before I do anything I need to find out the very best way to get a bootable, complete backup so I'll feel free to play around with my Mac, try some of these great suggestions, and then decide if I need to move into this current century with my hardware.

(I'm going over to re-read the info from the last link, http://thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html about maintenance and backups, right now.)

(I understand there are some good buy-back or turn-in offers for my old Mac, should I decide to sell my furniture and buy a new one... but that's another discussion.😉)

Soooo.... if anyone is willing to offer more advice, I'm ready to try some new things!

Thanks, again, for the friendly ears and practical advice.

Apr 24, 2011 1:12 PM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer, Silly rabbit, and Allan Jones,

Wonderful information!!!! I'm sorry to take so long to respond -- your insight is very helpful to me, so I want you to know this wasn't a trifling request for help.😉

As I said, I'm sort of half-techie and half-not-so-sure. I'll repeat my info here, to make it easier if anyone else reads this: PowerPC G4 (3.3), 1.25 GHz, 1 cpu, 256 KB L2 cache, 512MB memory, 167 MHz bus speed, 17-in. flat screen, MacOSx 10.5.8. I currently have about 21.5% free space on my hard drive.

My problem has become the fact that the Mac runs sluggishly these days no matter what I'm doing. Just doing some basic word-processing off-line, or reading email (I've tried Safari, Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, Opera), or viewing videos. I periodically boot from my latest os disk and repair disk (never found any problems), and then I repair disk permissions every time I install new software. I don't use much extra software -- I'm pretty careful about what I use.

I'm going to admit the awful here (and, yes, I am blushing): I haven't exactly been so careful about backups, other copying a few folders over to disks. I haven't done good backups in a long time, so before I do anything I need to find out the very best way to get a bootable, complete backup so I'll feel free to play around with my Mac, try some of these great suggestions, and then decide if I need to move into this current century with my hardware. (I'm going over to re-read the info from the last link, http://thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html about maintenance and backups, right now.)

(I understand there are some good buy-back or turn-in offers for my old Mac, should I decide to sell my furniture and buy a new one... but that's another discussion.😉)

Soooo.... if anyone is willing to offer more advice, I'm ready to try some new things!

Thanks, again, for the friendly ears and practical advice.

Message was edited by: Elainestar (to add thexlab link).

Is this iMac too old, now, and should I run any virus scanning software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.