5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2011 7:05 PM by Old Toad
Lessandro Level 1 (0 points)
When I launch iPhoto with command option and I tick the boxes, specifically the ones stating to repair the database & permissions, it hangs and just freezes at Rebuilding Library: 6147 Versions restored. I force quit and when I launch iPhoto regularly none of my events nor photos are there. If I navigate via the terminal to the Originals directory, all my pictures are there under /Users/Shared/My Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals which is where I store my library. The reason I initially tried to repair the permissions was because my wife and I share the laptop and we share the iPhoto library, and I hadn't had any problems until the other day I imported some photos from my iPhone under my profile, then under her profile she couldn't open the picture because for some reason the permissions didn't allow her to. Ever since then it hung and now I am stuck. Any advice I'd really appreciate it.

MacBook Pro 2011, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4
  • Old Toad Level 10 (133,235 points)
    You can try repairing permissions in the library as follows: download and run BatChmod on the library using the settings shown in this screenshot:

Click to view full size

You can change the Group to Staff or whatever group is used in your Home folder if you'd like.

If that doesn't help then rebuild the library using iPhoto Library Manager as follows:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 -Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 -Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your User/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File->Rebuild Library menu option

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

• Lessandro Level 1 (0 points)
    I get the following error when trying to rebuild with iPLM
    Cannot rebuild
    This library cannot be rebuilt because its XML file contains no image records.
    Then you're limited to the last option: start over with a new library and import the Masters folder from your original library as follows:

Creating a new library while preserving the Events from the original library.

1. Move the existing library folder to the desktop.
    2. Open the library package like this.

Click to view full size

3. Launch iPhoto and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.
    4. Drag the Masters folder from the iPhoto Library on the desktop into the open iPhoto window.

Click to view full size

This will create a new library with the same Events as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.
  • Lessandro Level 1 (0 points)
    I had a time machine back up so I restored it from the backup and the photos that were missing from the old library I imported. However, every time I try to fix the permissions with alt+command it hangs and the photos disappear again. Any guesses as to what can be happening?
    Try restoring again and then download and run BATCHMOD BatChmod on the library with these settings:

Click to view full size

Then launch iPhoto and make sure it's running as it should. Check a variety of thumbnails to make sure they are connected to the original files. You can do than by trying to edit the photo or open it full screen.

If all is well, make a temporary duplicate of the library and try rebuilding it again with the Command+Option key method. It if fails again, trash it and continue using the backup copy you just made.