Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -36ioErr I/O error (bummers)

well I have been getting this error whenever I try to copy a file or back up with time machine and also when trying to play certain songs in itunes..
pretty much itunes tries to play the song but it hangs until I restart if I am copying a file then the finder does the same exact thing but I get the error message -36 ..

any idea how to fix this ? hardware tests show no troubles and all the utilities I tried show nothing out of the ordinary... At first I thought the HD was failing and had bad sectors but that would show in first aid and Disk warrior.. Help

macbook 2ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 2:57 PM

7 replies

Apr 13, 2011 4:38 PM in response to poldo

Back up all data on the drive. If you want to continue using it, which I wouldn't recommend, boot from your installation DVD and launch Disk Utility from the Utiliities menu. Select the boot volume and in the Erase tab, open the "Security Options" pane. Select "Zero Out Data" and click OK. Erase. This will force all bad sectors on the drive to be mapped out. Then install, reboot, and run Software Update repeatedly until all available updates are applied. Restore your data.

Preferably, though, you should replace the drive, as it's likely to fail again. Some of your files may be corrupted already, and you have no easy way to determine which ones.

Apr 14, 2011 2:17 PM in response to Király

Yeah the Apple hardware test shows no issues with anything ....that's why I am puzzled
but I am almost positive it's the drive, the problem shows only when I play music form itunes or try and copy or backup files in the itunes folder.. so my theory is that there is an issue with a section of the drive where files cant be read or written

I am going through the tedious work of backing up small batches of mp3s at the time hopefully I won't lose too many

Error -36ioErr I/O error (bummers)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.