Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My audio

ever since i put my heaphones in a red light has been projected from the output hole. Now i cant use the computer's audio and i have to use headphones for my output audio and it keeps coming up with a circle with a cross through it every time i try to make the audio louder or softer.

Imac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 6:49 PM

3 replies

Apr 17, 2011 11:54 PM in response to TeenTitan

At the Genius Bar, they will look at your computer for no cost, even if you are no longer under warranty. If there is something physically wrong with your computer that requires a repair, then if you are outside of AppleCare, you have to pay for work to be done. But, to have the Genius look at your computer, try a few things on the software side, try to reset the SMC or NVRAM (or PRAM) - that kind of service will not cost you anything.

Apr 18, 2011 12:17 AM in response to Jack Clarke

Follow the above advice, but to expand on the subject, the red light you are seeing is the optical audio signal. The headphone jack supports both analog and digital outputs for use on both headphones and other stereo equipment respectively. The light should not be visible when there is nothing plugged in as it is only activated when it senses a plug inserted.

My audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.