3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2011 3:49 AM by Tobsen
Gerben Wierda Level 1 Level 1
expertise.macosx
Mac OS X
Subjects says it all, ATV2 is limited to 100Mbps on its Ethernet interface. Will it be possible in ideal circumstances to get a better speed using (say) a close by Airport Extreme base station which itself is connected to a 1Gbps network? This is of course about local traffic, not internet.

2010 iMac 27" i7, 2009 MBA SSD, 2010 mini server, NeXTdimension Cube
Solved by Tobsen on Apr 17, 2011 3:49 AM Solved

Ethernet is in most cases faster. If both devices are connected via wifi, they have to share the bandwidth. Even more devices such an iPhone can decrease the speed further.

My AppleTV is connected via powerline to my wifi router.

Reply by Winston Churchill on Apr 15, 2011 4:42 AM Helpful
Theoretically wifi 'n' would be the fastest, but while theoretical speeds over ethernet are usually nearly obtainable this is not the case for wifi.

Secondly consider that the Apple TV won't work at speeds anywhere near 100 Mbps anyway, so your speed is limited by the device and not it's connection.

Finally ethernet is always more reliable and should be used in preference to wifi were the possibility to use it exists.
Reply by Rudegar on Apr 15, 2011 7:08 AM Helpful
for sync more speed == faster sync
for stream speed just have to be fast enough

All replies

• Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X
    Theoretically wifi 'n' would be the fastest, but while theoretical speeds over ethernet are usually nearly obtainable this is not the case for wifi.

Secondly consider that the Apple TV won't work at speeds anywhere near 100 Mbps anyway, so your speed is limited by the device and not it's connection.

Finally ethernet is always more reliable and should be used in preference to wifi were the possibility to use it exists.
  • Rudegar Level 7 Level 7
    for sync more speed == faster sync
    for stream speed just have to be fast enough
  • Tobsen Level 1 Level 1

Ethernet is in most cases faster. If both devices are connected via wifi, they have to share the bandwidth. Even more devices such an iPhone can decrease the speed further.

My AppleTV is connected via powerline to my wifi router.