Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete Confirmation Warning. I want back.

When I use to push delete a photo it would give me a warning saying are you sure you want to delete. There was a check box that said "Dont ask again" I checked it. after a few mess ups I want the warning back. How do I get it to warn me again????

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 12:23 PM

6 replies

Apr 15, 2011 2:11 PM in response to Nick7744

Trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder. (Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

*What's the plist file?*

For new users: Every application on your Mac has an accompanying plist file. It records certain User choices. For instance, in your favourite Word Processor it remembers your choice of Default Font, on your Web Browser is remembers things like your choice of Home Page. It even recalls what windows you had open last if your app allows you to pick up from where you left off last. The iPhoto plist file remembers things like the location of the Library, your choice of background colour, whether you are running a Referenced or Managed Library, what preferences you have for autosplitting events and so on. Trashing the plist file forces the app to generate a new one on the next launch, and this restores things to the Factory Defaults. Hence, if you've changed any of these things you'll need to reset them. If you haven't, then no bother. Trashing the plist file is Mac troubleshooting 101.

Regards

TD

Apr 15, 2011 4:42 PM in response to Yer_Man

ok I found the file. However I have come from a windows background and have been burned many times deleting a file. Questions:
If I delete this plist will I loose my current photos?
How about slideshows?
How about Albums?
How about faces folder?
If it does screw things up can I use the time machine to get it back to the way it is now?

Thanks, I am really a novice at this Mac but I am ready to learn the ins and outs of this fine machine.

Apr 15, 2011 4:52 PM in response to Nick7744

Did you read the answer?

(Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. *These include minor settings* like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)

What's the plist file?
*For new users:* Every application on your Mac has an accompanying plist file. *It records certain User choices.* For instance, in your favourite Word Processor it remembers your choice of Default Font, on your Web Browser is remembers things like your choice of Home Page. It even recalls what windows you had open last if your app allows you to pick up from where you left off last. *The iPhoto plist file remembers things like the location of the Library, your choice of background colour, whether you are running a Referenced or Managed Library, what preferences you have for autosplitting events and so on.* Trashing the plist file forces the app to generate a new one on the next launch, and this restores things to the Factory Defaults. Hence, if you've changed any of these things you'll need to reset them. If you haven't, then no bother. *Trashing the plist file is Mac troubleshooting 101.*

So of course it does not delete your photos, slideshows, albums, faces or any other user data - Only PREFERENCES

It will not screw things up but if it did then you could use TM to go back - that is what it does

LN

LN

Dec 26, 2011 5:28 AM in response to Yer_Man

terence,

i have a related question. it seems the Iphoto 11 (w/ Lion) only asks me to confirm a delete if i am viewing all the pictures in the event. if i am viewing a single photo inside of an event, it deletes without a confirmation. in other words, i double clicked on a picture and that's the view i am in. is there a fix for this?

Dec 18, 2014 3:20 AM in response to asqcincy

It is not outdated.

iPhoto is still storing this flag as the "DontAskAboutDeleteConfirmation" key in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Deleting or editing this file will bring the prompt back.

But in the newer McOS X versions (since MacOS X 10.7.) are two things different:

• The user library hidden by default, so it is not so easy to access the preferences files in the library
  • And after changing the preferences a restart is required, because of the changes in the process system. Otherwise deleting preferences files may not have any effect.

Either reveal the hidden user library:

To open the hidden User Library:

• Use the Finder's "Go" menu.
  • Click "Go", then hold down the options key, until you are seeing "Library" in the drop down menu appear and click it.

In the Finder window that will open navigate to the folders "Preferences".

Quit iPhoto. Remove ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist . Restart your Mac.

Or use an editor to change the preference. Download and install Pref Setter from this link:

http://www.nightproductions.net/prefsetter.html

• Move it to the Applications folder, select it, and ctrl-click it. Select "Open".
  • Type "iPhoto" into the search field and search for com.apple.iPhoto.plist
  • In the editor pane enter "delete" into the search field and search the entry "DontAskAboutDeleteConfirmation"
  • change the flag to "false" or "NO"

Save the file.

Restart your Mac.

Delete Confirmation Warning. I want back.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.