Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log and Transfer instead of Log and Capture

Is there anyway to force FCP to go to Log and Transfer instead of Log and Capture when Batch Capturing media?

I have an EDL from Avid that I need to relink to the original r3d files and FCP will only open Log and Capture when I select it and hit Batch Capture. Any thoughts?

Also in a obviously related but more general question does anyone know how FCP chooses which to open when you hit batch capture?

Thanks.

This is in 7.0.3.

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 4:40 PM

9 replies

Apr 16, 2011 9:27 PM in response to digitalrhino

An EDL won't work. I'm not positive what WILL work...offlining on one NLE and onlining on another NLE...tapeless media. Typically what you have to do is export an AAF of the final sequence from the Avid, and then use Automatic Duck to import that into FCP...and have it link to the media that you used in the Avid. Then you might see about getting that to relink to the RAW files.

But I'm not sure. Best to pose this question on reduser.net.

Apr 18, 2011 1:03 PM in response to digitalrhino

Yeah, I'm trying to get them to send us an XML but they seemed a bit hesitant/confused about it.

My next bet is just to reconform this in Smoke (my usual home) and then send it FCP to reconnect to r3ds and then send to Color which is actually the whole point of this exersize but that seems, um, silly. Even aside from that I have a ton of experience going from FCP to Smoke but have never had to go the other direction.

Apr 18, 2011 1:32 PM in response to digitalrhino

Oh, and according to someone on reduser FCP will only log and transfer out of bath capture clips that were already "captured" with log and transfer. Apprarently something to do with metadata it associates with the ClipID on ingest. Pretty lame.

So I don't even think an XML will help me, I'm probably going to overcut or relink by hand. Super lame.

PS. Although I will check out that FCP Reconnect app, thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 18, 2011 1:45 PM in response to digitalrhino

>according to someone on reduser FCP will only log and transfer out of bath capture clips that were already "captured" with log and transfer. Apprarently something to do with metadata it associates with the ClipID on ingest.

Correct. That's how FCP knows that the clip is TAPE or TAPELESS based.

>Pretty lame.

Not really. how else is FCP to know where it came from? What is lame is trying to offline/online with different NLEs. Why not online with Avid MC? It does a bang up job, and can reconnect to those R3D files with a snap of the fingers.

>So I don't even think an XML will help me, I'm probably going to overcut or relink by hand.

Correct, because Avid doesn't do XML.

>Super lame.

Again, blame the poor planning of the workflow. Knowing the issues going in would save time. Trying to pound a square peg into a circle hole at the end, and calling it 'lame' that it doesn't work is pretty...well...lame.

Online with Avid Media Composer. There is a 30 day fully functional demo available.

Apr 18, 2011 2:08 PM in response to Shane Ross

No. Still pretty lame. There should be an option for which you want to use, or an option in the the drop down along with Batch Capture, blah blah blah. There are a couple of reasonably elegant ways to do this that wouldn't be hard for them to impliment. What's lame is it just not being an option. It sounds to me like it isn't implimented to make it "simple" for people so that the software just "knows" where it came from. They should trust their users more, I could tell it where the media came from.

As for the rest, you're right, this is a silly workflow. And it was finished on Avid initially. But when the director of the spot/one of the owners of the company/ my boss comes to me and says he wants us to do our own grade of the footage for the version that is going on the reel it would be nice if I didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get it to work.

Especially since there is honestly no real reason it shouldn't. We have time code, we have reel/tape names that make sense. Why not let me use Log and Transfer to reconnect to it? Seems silly is all. My 2 cents.

Log and Transfer instead of Log and Capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.