Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5

I am told my iMacG5 is aging. When the computer goes to sleep, it won't wake up. I have to turn the computer off and then on again. There is also a crackling noise when the computer is turned on, accompanied by a loud high pitched ring before the computer boots up with that famous apple tone. Sometimes I have to unplug the computer completely to get it going normally again. It usually takes 3 tries of turning the computer off and on to get it to boot normally. And the newest is the on/off button is not always responsive. I was told by Mac experts the iMacG5 is the equivalent of a 90 yr old person. It may die or live on forever. Based on how it is powering up and powering down, I am nervous. I am a photographer and have thousands of photos stored on my computer. Should I start backing everything up before I lose the computer all together? Should I start transferring my images to discs?

iMacG5

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 6:58 PM

Please back everything up immediately. I suggest getting an external firewire/USB drive and getting all your important stuff, particularly your pictures, off the iMac right away.

User uploaded file
4 replies

Apr 17, 2011 2:18 PM in response to LBmacuser

Hi! I fix these older units for a living and suspect that your power supply or your inverter board is on the way out. Good to do as has been suggested and back up data, but in the event that your machine dies before being able to do this there is very little danger of loosing data. In that event the Hard Drive can be removed and all data recovered to another Mac without much difficulty.

I would say your Mac is more like a 50 year-old than a 90 year-old :-) Having said that, it sounds like a 50 year-old in need of a good checkup and some replacement surgery . . .

iMac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.