4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2011 9:56 AM by vea1083
vea1083 Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)
Evening,

Today I tried a Printing System Reset by doing a option click in the printer queue on the Print and Fax section of the System Preference menu. However for some reason when I hit the reset button, OSX asked for my user account password, is this normal, I am the only user account on my computer.

Thank You!

2.53GHz Core i5 MacBook Pro 15" (Mid-2010), Mac OS X (10.6.7), 500GB HD @7200, 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD + Nvidia 330m 256MB
  • 1. Re: Printer System Reset Asking for Password...
    Matt Broughton Level 5 Level 5 (4,905 points)

I don't think that it normally does ask for authentication, but I would not consider it wrong.  It could be that padlock at the bottom of the Print & Fax pane showed that it was "locked".  In such a case, the system should definitely ask for an administrator's user name and password.

• 2. Re: Printer System Reset Asking for Password...

Matt Broughton wrote:

I don't think that it normally does ask for authentication, but I would not consider it wrong.  It could be that padlock at the bottom of the Print & Fax pane showed that it was "locked".  In such a case, the system should definitely ask for an administrator's user name and password.

Matt,

The printer reset menu does not have the keylock in the locked position when it happened. However, today I reseted the system today and it did not asked for a password today which makes me think that it was a permissions problem, since I did a repair permissions after seeing that. Don't know if the permission repair had to do with this but the problem is fixed.

Thank You!

• 3. Re: Printer System Reset Asking for Password...
    AllSeeingMac Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)

Hi vea1083,

All OS X is doing is a simple security check to make sure you have the right level access to run the command as the command in question can be used to cause havoc with your printer. It is very much the same sort of thing if you install some software for the first time: if it installing bits or bobs which may effect system-wide operation, it will ask your permission to do so before continuing.

• 4. Re: Printer System Reset Asking for Password...

AllSeeingMac wrote:

Hi vea1083,

All OS X is doing is a simple security check to make sure you have the right level access to run the command as the command in question can be used to cause havoc with your printer. It is very much the same sort of thing if you install some software for the first time: if it installing bits or bobs which may effect system-wide operation, it will ask your permission to do so before continuing.

Ok I will mark this thread as solved since the problem was not permanent. Thank you all for your answers!