Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changed Administrator permission to (Read-only), now the system doesnt boot

Hi guys,

I need your brains to help me with the following problem:

By not knowing, I have changed Administrator permission on my iMAC to "read-only"
Another user account I always use stayed as "read & write"
BUT, after that system will not boot.

I tried to run Disk Utility, and Disk Repair (repairing permissions were done too I think, because the button was inactive)
Tried to reboot, still the same gray screen... 😟

What other options do I have to restore admin permissions? that is the cause of a problem, right?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 8:32 PM

2 replies

Apr 20, 2011 3:52 PM in response to Markus001

Have you tried run "repair disk permissions" from Safe Mode?

Starting up in “safe mode” may help you to diagnose problems you’re having with your computer.

To start up in safe mode:

1. Shut down your computer and wait 10 seconds.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator (spinning gear).

Then go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility; Click on your hard drive, then "Repair Disk Permissions."

Paul

To leave safe mode, restart the computer normally without holding down any keys during startup.

Changed Administrator permission to (Read-only), now the system doesnt boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.