Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight / iChat picture problem

Hello,

i own one of the first PowerBook G4 17" 1 GHz with an FireWire 400 and 800 port. I also own an iSight with Firmware 1.03, an Lacie d2 triple interface, an iPod photo with dock and an Elgato EyeTV 400. The iSight is connected directly at the FireWire 400 port at the PowerBook. The Lacie d2 ist connected with an FireWire 800 cable directly at the FireWire 800 Port at the PowerBook. The EyeTV is connected with an FireWire 400 cable at the Lacie d2 and the dock from the iPod is connected with his FireWire 400 cable at the EyeTV. Everythink worked fine under Mac OS X 10.3.x up to the last release 10.3.9. When i switched to Mac OS X 10.4.x (clean install) i get a scrambled picture in iChat and QuickTime. Sometimes the picture was fine in iMovie HD, sometimes i got the information, there was no isight. I had my old system on a partition at the Lacie d2, and if i start this system, everything works also today. But under 10.4.3 the picture is 😟. So today i found a reason, but not realy a solution. If i stop the EyeTV-software (actual 1.8.4), then the iSight also works under 10.4.3. But if i start the EyeTV-software, the picture is scambled. Under 10.3.9 i could use both, EyeTV and the isight. So if i must stop the EyeTV-software to chat, than i couldn't record some films, because the movie windows could be closed to get the scamble effekt.
Can anybody help to find a solution so that everythink worked like under 10.3.9? Apple?

Greetings from Germany,

Lars Gusewski

PowerBook G4 17" 1 GHZ, 1 GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.3) EyeTV 400 (1.8.4), Lacie d2, iPod photo, iSight

Posted on Dec 25, 2005 2:06 PM

3 replies

Dec 25, 2005 3:51 PM in response to Lars Gusewski

User uploaded file Greeting, Lars. With your upgrade to Tiger, it seems you have encountered the Possible hardware or software conflicts.

While not universal, such complaints seem more frequent when more than one app or device may be using (or trying to access) iSight. The suggestions in the link above give most people usable workarounds. You have already discovered one (using only one app at a time.)

The fact that you did not have this problem with iChat AV 2.1 in Panther give a couple of troubleshooting ideas that may help you.

Check the EyeTV web site and its help/support info there to see whether firmware or software updates are available to resolve the problem for Tiger users. If other Tiger / EyeTV users are experiencing the same issue since changing to Tiger, EyeTV may already have answers. Perhaps EyeTV is currently working a solution to return performance to the same level as was available under Panther?

Alternatively, you may find that some of the suggestions in Help for iChat AV 3 Problems yield improvement. Although not intended to specifically address conflict issues like yours, the OS X Maintenance, QuickTime version or reinstallation, or the Combo Updater suggestions there have all helped others suffering a wide variety of problems.

Finally, with the increased processor load and bandwidth requirements of iChat AV 3 over iChat AV 2.1, you will likely benefit from running iChat AV 3 alone (with no other open applications,) at least until you resolved all other possible issues.

If you want to submit feedback directly to Apple about this issue rather than just seeking suggestions from us iSight users, send Feedback for the closest related application from the list of Product Feedback.

If you find any better solutions, please let us know.

Cheers,
Jim

Dec 26, 2005 7:55 AM in response to EZ Jim

Hi,

today i test a little bit more and found a workaround, thats good enough for the moment. After i start the EyeTV Software (1.8.4 was the latest available version) i must start once tv. It seems, that the tv init something that "repairs" the connection to the isight and i can use them. So i will write Apple and Elgato, perhaps they can find the bug in 10.4.

Greetings, Lars

iSight / iChat picture problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.