You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i reset my Ipod shuffle to factory default?

How do i reset my Ipod shuffle to factory default setting? sorry i know it's simple, but i'm slow. lol. thanx

smiles and hugs,

Windows XP

Posted on Dec 27, 2005 7:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2005 12:23 AM

1. Go to apple.com/ipod/download, and download the latest software updater 2005 - 11 - 25.
2. Once downloaded, install the software updater.
3. Restart machine, with the ipod inserted in the USB port, power setting to OFF position.
4. Once cpu is restarted, go to Start -->ipod-->ipod software updater.
5. Click on "Restore" when the ipod updater window invites you to.
6. Once finished, disconnect Ipod, and turn the power switch to one of the "on" positions (it doesn't matter which).
7. Green light should come on and turn off. Turn off power switch a second time and wait 10 seconds.
8. Insert ipod back into USB port; it should automatically start itunes, which should then offer to setup your ipod.
9. It will automatically begin downloading all songs from your itunes library onto the ipod. WHen complete, you can disconnect ipod, and hopefully the thing will work.

NB: unlike other mp3 players, you MUST use itunes to download your music onto the ipod. you cannot click and drag music using windows.

Hope this helps, and shame on apple for making it so complicated.
6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2005 12:23 AM in response to drunk hobo

1. Go to apple.com/ipod/download, and download the latest software updater 2005 - 11 - 25.
2. Once downloaded, install the software updater.
3. Restart machine, with the ipod inserted in the USB port, power setting to OFF position.
4. Once cpu is restarted, go to Start -->ipod-->ipod software updater.
5. Click on "Restore" when the ipod updater window invites you to.
6. Once finished, disconnect Ipod, and turn the power switch to one of the "on" positions (it doesn't matter which).
7. Green light should come on and turn off. Turn off power switch a second time and wait 10 seconds.
8. Insert ipod back into USB port; it should automatically start itunes, which should then offer to setup your ipod.
9. It will automatically begin downloading all songs from your itunes library onto the ipod. WHen complete, you can disconnect ipod, and hopefully the thing will work.

NB: unlike other mp3 players, you MUST use itunes to download your music onto the ipod. you cannot click and drag music using windows.

Hope this helps, and shame on apple for making it so complicated.

How do i reset my Ipod shuffle to factory default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.