Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPod software not installed correctly - Please help!

I thought I successfully installed my IPod software and Itunes, however when I go into Itunes the following message appears......
The software required for commuincation with the IPod is not installed correctly.Please reinstall Itunes to install the IPods software

So I have tried to uninstall and reinstall and my computer wont let me do either - when I try to unistall or reinstall the following messages appear......
String Product_Name was not found in string table
OR
Error 0x80040706 Object reference not set - installation terminated

Please help me!

Dell Windows XP

Dell Windows XP

Posted on Dec 28, 2005 11:34 AM

14 replies

Dec 28, 2005 4:47 PM in response to dulam

Hello dulam,

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest version of iTunes?
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If that didn't work, and you're using XP, you can try this. Restart the computer (or log off). When you click login, hold down the left shift key and continue to do so until all computer activities stop. Then try installing the latest version.

Gary

Dec 28, 2005 5:20 PM in response to hewtab

Ummm... I'm assuming you have Windows XP and, you've downloaded and tried installing the latest version of iTunes software?
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then, try following these steps:
1. Restart the computer (or log off).
2. When you click login, hold down the left shift key and continue to do so until all computer activities stop.
3. Then try installing the latest version of iTunes.

Gary

Dec 28, 2005 8:26 PM in response to dulam

I am having the same issue and I have done absoulutely everything that dulam has stated. I spent an hour on the phone with someone from Apple trying to help and they referred me to the Itunes customer service website. They were no help at all. My daughters are very disappointed they cannot get these to work..

Help!!!

Dell Windows XP

Dec 29, 2005 7:57 AM in response to Gary Kawamura

Gary,

Thanks for getting back to me - I gave up on getting this to work yesterday so Im hoping today will be better. I tried your suggestion of holding down the shift key and it didnt work. I have tried alot of stuff that I found posted in the discussions - I tried doing what you suggested Hewtab do - following the article, IPod appears in Window but not in Itunes. I have shut down my virus software - I even restored my computer back to before I installed Itunes and tried to reinstall it but no go - that made it even worse. When I try to uninstall or reinstall Itunes or the Ipod software it wont let me. - It simply says Product_Name ws not found in string table. IS there anything else I can do? Im about to download winamp and be done with itunes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dec 29, 2005 8:04 AM in response to dulam

I had exactly the same problem. I just posted the solution I used. It's very easy and worked like a charm for me. I hope it helps you.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=289651&tstart=0

A lot of people are having this problem hopefully this will save people from banging their head against a wall for 6 hours like I did, trying to follow all of the "Troubleshooting" Tips posted elsewhere.

Good luck!

IPod software not installed correctly - Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.