Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting Newsgroups

I'm brand new to the mac and I was wondering how I go about and subscribe to newsgroups with my mac. On my PC I used Outlook Express for both my mail and the newsgroups, what do I use with my mac? And how do I set it up? I set up the email just fine, just can't figure out where or how to access the newsgroups. I'm sure it's a simple question for you pros out there! Thanks.

Bob

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 28, 2005 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2005 2:00 PM

OS X does not include a NewsGroup reader.

Entourage, the email client comparable to Windows Outlook which is part of Office 2004 for OS X includes a NewsGroup reader function (just like Outlook Express for Windows) but if you haven't purchased Office 2004, you need a NewsGroup reader.

There are a number of NewsGroup readers available for and compatible with OS X. Search VersionTracker for NewsGroup readers or NewsGroups.

I use Hogwasher which is considered a "premium" NewsReader and costs $49 currently (I purchased it years ago for only $25 or less) but has many more features than I'll ever use. You can use it free for 60 days.

There are others that don't cost near this much and I believe there are some freeware clients available you can check for using VersionTracker.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2005 2:00 PM in response to rfa5

OS X does not include a NewsGroup reader.

Entourage, the email client comparable to Windows Outlook which is part of Office 2004 for OS X includes a NewsGroup reader function (just like Outlook Express for Windows) but if you haven't purchased Office 2004, you need a NewsGroup reader.

There are a number of NewsGroup readers available for and compatible with OS X. Search VersionTracker for NewsGroup readers or NewsGroups.

I use Hogwasher which is considered a "premium" NewsReader and costs $49 currently (I purchased it years ago for only $25 or less) but has many more features than I'll ever use. You can use it free for 60 days.

There are others that don't cost near this much and I believe there are some freeware clients available you can check for using VersionTracker.

Getting Newsgroups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.