Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-Apple External USB modems with iMac G5

Hey guys,

Just purchased my new iMac G5 17" two days ago. I'm installing DSL in January but meanwhile, I wanted to use dial-up. The Apple USB modem is a bit expensive here in Egypt. So I found one by HP that's good and half price. But I'm not sure if it's gonna work on Mac. Do I need drivers? Does anyone know if I can use non-Apple modems or do I have to buy the Apple one? Funny how I tried to look for some similar topic but didn't so thought of asking. I'm afraid I need an answer before I venture on buying the Apple modem.

Also another question concerning the Airport feature. If I buy the airport express and I know the the iMac has the Extreme built-in. So does that mean that all I need to do is hook a phone line to the airport express and then the iMac will link with the airport and use dial-up via the express? or is it something else? I don't understand very well the aiport system concering internet connections. Sorry. Can anyone explain and answer my 2 enigmatic questions?? 🙂

Thanks in advance...

iMac G5 17" 1.9Ghz, 512 RAM, 160GB HD, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2005 3:24 AM

6 replies

Jan 1, 2006 8:37 AM in response to Carol Hammal

You plug in the apple modem, it appears as a choice in your Network Locations. Choose it, enter the phone number for your ISP and your password and you can choose to have that show up in the menubar (it looks like a little telephone receiver). Then when you want to connect, you just click the telephone and choose Connect, and the modem will dial and tell the ISP your password so it can connect, kind of like the way windows does, only without the extra floating window on your desktop as it connects.

Once you have it set up with your main access number, you can click the telephone and choose Open Internet Connect. There you can enter additional phone numbers and/or change the one you want to use to connect with.

Non-Apple External USB modems with iMac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.