Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto crashes when opening partially completed book

Using iPhoto 5.0.4 with Tiger 10.4.3 OS on a 1 GHz PowerPC G4 laptop with 768 MB of memory.

I created a book in iPhoto using the Yearbook Theme. I have 266 pictures either in the book or waiting to be placed. At least 230 pictures are on pages. There are 38 pages in use. At this point when I open the book, it opens to the pages selection and I can move off the current page by one or two pages before iPhoto freezes up and then quits. I am unable to view pictures at all. Fixes I have tried are repairing permissions, dpi settings, and cleaning caches from this discussion board.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PB G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3) 768 MB Ram

Posted on Jan 2, 2006 12:31 PM

7 replies

Jan 6, 2006 7:37 AM in response to lori_diloreto

I tried Lori's suggesting about opening each photo in iPhoto. I was able to get through 6 - 10 photos before the program crashed again. After trying to open and view each photo separately and crashing numerous times, I decided to try to make the book on a different machine.

I transfered the iPhoto library to my iMac G5. I was able to work on the project for about a half hour before the crashing began on that computer.

I removed all photos from my iPhoto Library (over 6000) and just imported those I needed for the book. Previously, I had used the Yearbook theme. This time I tried the Picturebook theme. I was working with 290 photos. I filled the standard 20 pages then started adding pages to the book. (My book needs to be 40 pages). At this point I again started to crash in iPhoto.

My images are standard images from digital cameras and scanned images. Scanned images are either 150 dpi or 2400 dpi. Is the size of my larger scanned images the issue? Is there a size limitation on the images in the book? Since I have used two different computers and have gotten the same problem, the common factor seems to be the photos themselves. All of the images I have set aside for the book will open in iPhoto, so I don't believe I have a corrupt photo.

Any other ideas or thoughts you have for me?

Thanks again for any help you can give.

Jan 7, 2006 12:55 PM in response to Old Toad

Lori,

iPhoto crashes when I open the book and move to a different page. It is opening to full double page view. I can move to another page from the strip above. When I move to a second page or a third page I crash. I am not even trying to manipulate photos at this point. I started a new book last night from an iPhoto Library of just my 290 photos. After completing the standard 20 pages, I started to add additional pages. At this point iPhoto started to crash again.

Old Toad,

One of the "fixes" I attempted before I began the discussion board was running Mac HelpMate, which clears out the caches on the machine. When I went into my library, into the cache folder, I did not have either of the iPhoto folders. I believe they were already cleared out from the Mac HelpMate. I have launched iPhoto since then, but every attempt to use it has resulted in a crash so I do not have a cache created yet.

Again, thanks for any help you can give.

Thanks, Renee

iPhoto crashes when opening partially completed book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.