Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mailman: Automatic monthly password reminders?

Has anyone gotten the OS X Server (10.4.X) implementation of Mailman to send out automatic monthly password reminders to subscribers? As far as I know, it's supposed to do it by default. We have dozens of lists and hundreds of users, but no one gets a monthly reminder - eventhough their personal prefs are set to "Yes" to get them. I can't find a global setting anywhere...

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks in advance--

Dave

XServe G5, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2006 9:14 PM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2006 6:56 PM in response to David Patschke

Ha ... I just signed on to ask exactly the same question. I'm running this under OS X 10.3.9, however, but exactly the same problem. No monthly password reminders at all, despite having it set up to do it as far as I know. Someone told me it's a cron problem, but that doesn't help me much ... how do we fix this?

Xserve G5 single processor, two 80GB drives Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Jan 23, 2006 6:54 AM in response to Robert Bergey

Ok, I think I got it working- but of course won't know for sure until next week (Feb 1) for certain...

I did a few things, but am not clear as to which may have helped.

Did the obvious things first, ran all the software updates, then ran a Disk Permissions fix (important). Then, I ran the "send reminders" script manually by typing 2 lines into the terminal, after navigating to to the Mailman directory. Directions for doing so are at http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/site.html (scroll to the bottom). After that, all my reminders went out (though not automatically, as I said, we'll wait and see on that).

However, other daily automatic messages started going out after that - including the bogus pending request messages ( http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.038.htp) which makes me think its working now - since I wasn't receiving those messages before. But --we're using 10.4.4. So that could be different.

Jan 25, 2006 11:39 AM in response to David Patschke

Repairing permissions may be the secret. I did that four days ago to get my lists going again following a very brief power outage (server had come right back online, but lists didn't work) ... not only did the permissions repair get my lists going again, but now I'm getting daily reminders of any admin requests I haven't taken care of -- that never happened before! Previously I only got the initial admin notices. This is a good sign! So I'm hopeful that my monthly password reminders will go out automatically, too ... we'll know in about a week!

Bob

Mailman: Automatic monthly password reminders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.