Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Maps Widget Not Working

Using v2.1, which seems to simply no longer work. Get continual loading indicator, which if left alone will continue for hours with no other result?

Anyone else seeing this or (hopefully) know of any solutions?

iMac G5 17" iSight, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Jan 3, 2006 12:07 PM

14 replies

Jan 3, 2006 2:42 PM in response to Sharon Faulk

Thanks for the heads-up. Haven't seen anything about v2.2 but will look for it.

Meanwhile, a fix of sorts — while looking and clicking around for an upgrade path to do the above, I discovered that it's possible to drag a second copy of an existing widget into the Dashboard. As it turned out, the second (new) copy of Google Maps worked just fine, although the old one continued to be dead.

The fault appears to have been with my local mounted copy, not with Google, but this fix was pure serendipity.

Jan 4, 2006 4:50 PM in response to Michael Morgan1

oh my freaking gosh..... not trying to hijack thread but want to give a shout out big thanks to you for your suggestion to install second copy of non working widget(phonebook/yellowpages for me) which WORKED as soon as I put in and then deleting non working with manager..... I had been trying to delete the non working and than just putting it back in...WRONG..... as you stated it must have had something to do with the resident copy/version, but the second ADDED one regenerated the path correctly and I can now lookup any freaking number I want!!!!...... THANKS AGAIN!!!!... by the way, this was a far cry from the suggestion by $APPLECARE$... they wanted me to RE-INSTALL tiger and all of my apps..... can you imagine that.... re-install an O.S. just for a single widget!!

Jan 5, 2006 3:06 PM in response to Michael Morgan1

OK. I've just wasted an hour trying to get the Google map (v 2.2) to work on two different computers - an iMac G5 and a Powerbook G4 - both running 10.4.3. When I type in a location or address, all I get is the little twirly thing - and all it does is twirl. I've reloaded it a couple of times. Is there some special thing you have to do to activate this? I haven't been able to find any instructions for it anywhere.

I've been using Macs for a long time, and I suspect that the solution is very simple, but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks.

Don

Jan 8, 2006 1:57 PM in response to Robert Fry

always a chance it could be a server thing.... that was the problem with translator widget for several days..... the yellow pages was a fluke thing ... it was actually something with my computer/widget because other people/home computer had it working.... the number of people all with map2.2 working makes me guess not user/computer specific...

Jan 19, 2006 6:50 PM in response to Michael Morgan1

I sent this to David Lindquist, who did the programming on the widget:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

David,

I love my Google Maps widget, and use it often. Recently, however, when I enter a street address, a city, or a state, the word "Loading" stays in the window, and nothing actually loads, no matter how long I wait.

Action I've taken without success:

Repair disk permissions
Run sudo periodic monthly weekly daily routines
Trash file: widget-org.unobtrusive.widget.GoogleMaps.plist

Connection to internet (cable modem - Comcast) works perfectly

Setup:

Mac G5 Tower Dual 2's
5g ram
250g internal A drive, 300g internal B drive
OS 10.4.2

Have you any idea why the wonderful Google Maps widget is not working on my computer?

Thanks in advance for helping me, and please accept my apology if we're looking at some kind of user error here. I'm sure you don't have the time to waste...

Here was the reply I received:

This is an auto-reply message.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Google Maps widget.

It appears as if Google has blocked the widget from accessing their maps service. I am currently investigating the problem.

David

It is not a solution, but at least we know something about what's going on.

G5 Dual 2 Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Google Maps Widget Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.