Previous 1 2 Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2011 2:28 PM by Lawrence Finch
Jalpuna Level 1 (10 points)

The Facebook app, for example.  I'll click the Settings app, scroll down to Notifications, turn Notifications off.  The Facebook app still has a red number on its icon.  OK, I'll try it differently.  I'll go into the Settings app, turn Notifications ON, and select Facebook from the list.  I'll then turn Sounds off.  Alerts off.  Badges OFF!  But there will still be a little red number on the Facebook app icon.

What gives?  How do I turn that badge off!?

I'm using an in iPhone 4 with the latest iOS, but I've had this problem for a while.

• fanboy512 Level 2 (265 points)

You have to check the ones you already have those settings only prevent future notifications.

• PowerBook Duo Level 1 (45 points)

In the Facebook settings in the settings app, there should be a notifications section where you can turn them on and off. The Facebook app does provide notifications regardless of wether push notifications are on or off, these notifications aren't push rather just telling you the amount of messages or friend requests you have.

• Jalpuna Level 1 (10 points)

"In the Facebook settings in the settings app, there should be a notifications section where you can turn them on and off."

As I said, I went into the settings app and turned them off.

"The Facebook app does provide notifications regardless of wether push notifications are on or off, these notifications aren't push rather just telling you the amount of messages or friend requests you have."

Are you saying the Facebook app is going to have that red badge number on it no matter what?  Even if I turn badges off?

No PowerBook duo is incorrect those red badges are notifications you already have. Turning off the setting s will prevent future badges but you need to v"view" clear out the ones you have to make that badge go away.

Will deleting and reinstalling the app do it?  It'll take me forever to clear all of those notifications.  On the facebook site, I see NO waiting notifications, but the app shows over 50.

It would never hurt to try. I think it should remove them at that point as long as the settings are off when you redownload.

• AllSeeingMac Level 1 (75 points)

It if still does not go away, try to simply quit the app from memory (double-tap home, tap-and-hold the Facebook app, press the red next to it and then launch it again). Then, open up Facebook and click on notifications. Then click Inbox. Due to Facebook's new messaging system, chats are stored in the Inbox and the Facebook app may see them as 'unread notifications'.

As stated before, you cannot turn off past nofitications: you can only prevent the future ones from appearing.

Deleting and reinstalling doesn't do it.

Deleting from the iPhone AND deleting from my iTunes library and then re-downloading the app from the app store and installing it STILL DOESN'T DO IT, even if I have notifications turned OFF.

Still think you have to check them they are on the server and have peen pushed to your account the.

I've tried the quit-from-memory trick but it didn't work either.  That was actually the first thing I tried.

• AllSeeingMac Level 1 (75 points)

Ok, if you delete from iTunes MAKE SURE you sync immediatly. iTunes will delete ALL DATA on the iPhone from said app and probably make the notifications go away.

I deleted it from my iPhone.

I deleted it from my iTunes library.

I synced.

I made sure notifications were set to OFF (Settings app / Notifications / OFF).

I downloaded facebook from the app store.

I installed it on my iPhone.

There's that frigging red number badge.

SHEESH.

This is obnoxious.  I just marked everything as read to clear the stupid red number.  I'd have preferred not to, since knowing which ones weren't read made it easier to know which I still had to get around to replying to...  but whatever.

Sheesh.  Apple really needs to fix the notifications thing.  OFF should mean OFF.  Not Future Off or Everything but the ones you already have on off.  It should mean off.  Grumble.

I'm telling you those are on the Apple notification server not stored locally. You need to check them to acknowledge them on the server.

Previous 1 2 Next