Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your Stuff>Profile>Change Photo & Avatar

OK, I read the "Tutorials" but I didn't see the specifications for a photo that you want to add. Anyone know what are: the minimum/maximum sizes in pixels; the maximum file size in KB; graphic formats allowed?

Active: iMac (G5, G4), PB G4, iPad, iPhone, iPod, MP2100 Retired: iMac G3, A2c, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mac OS 10.4.11, Mac OS 9.2.2, iOS 4.2.1, Newton OS 2.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 10:07 PM

"The file must be a JPG, PNG, GIF, or BMP file, and under 2.0 MB."

Can't tell you about pixel size, but there is a cropping tool to use after you upload a photo. It's Facebook-like small, so keep it little. Crazy that 2 MB is allowed for such a tiny resulting photo.

23 replies

Apr 16, 2011 10:13 PM in response to romad

The avatar needs to be tiny (less than 90 x 90) or it'll need to much cropping; however, the picture can be larger. I imported a pic I took of Mt. Hood and didn't change the size - it was more than 900 x 600 (can't remember exact size); it seemed to have been downsized automatically. I only had to crop a little.

Apr 17, 2011 10:43 AM in response to babowa

BTW, how did you add the photo of Mt. Hood? Since I can't change my avatar, I'd at least like to add a photo. I tried to drag-and-drop but that din't work, nor did just clicking on the "Add Photo" link for the Primary Photo. Or is this anothe "bennie" denied to the lower-class levels? 😉

Note: in the Poduct list below, the iOS should now read 4.3

Apr 17, 2011 11:57 AM in response to romad

Or is this anothe "bennie" denied to the lower-class levels? 😉

No idea, but here is how I got there:

"Your Stuff" > Profile > Change Photo & Avatar > click on "add photo".

Next page says "Profile Photo" >upload a photo > click browse button.

Choose Photo. Click upload and continue. It'll then let you crop and add it.

See if that works.

Apr 17, 2011 12:15 PM in response to babowa

Yes, that worked this time. The first time I clicked on the Add Photo link in box #1 and all it would do is reload the same page. This time I clicked on the link in box #4 and it worked, but it did add the photo to box #1.

I also discovered that only landscape oriented photos work; portrait oriented ones won't nomatter how small the photo.

Apr 17, 2011 2:01 PM in response to skalicki

skalicki wrote:

When you go to Profile > Profile Photo and Avatar, you will have a link to "Add another avatar" if you are a level 3 user or above. The information for the image you can use (JPG, PNG, GIF, or BMP only, maximum file size of 2.0 MB) is displayed there.

Hmmm, I'm a Level 3, but the "Add another avatar" link isn't there.

Jul 6, 2011 11:59 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Texas Mac Man wrote:

romad wrote:

I also discovered that only landscape oriented photos work; portrait oriented ones won't nomatter how small the photo.

If you have a photo app (like Photoshop), you can change the canvas width of a portrait photo to make it a square, then it will work.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

User uploaded file

I did it and my profile page keeps asking to crop the photo.

It is a tiny 72X72 but I would not be allowed to keep its view full; it must be cropped for Apple to be happy!!

Is there a way out?

Thanks,

Your Stuff>Profile>Change Photo & Avatar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.