Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between "All Content" and "Discussions"

Maybe I'm just daft, but I can't discern any substantial difference between "All Content" and "Discussions." What am I missing?

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 9:50 PM

"All Content" is a raw list of all items in that category/forum-equivalent.

"Discussions" is effectively the same list, but with an important difference - unread discussions are shown in bold, and discussions which have been read are shown in plain. In this context, 'unread' means a discussion whose content has been added to since you last read it.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2011 9:50 PM in response to MattiMattMatt

"All Content" is a raw list of all items in that category/forum-equivalent.

"Discussions" is effectively the same list, but with an important difference - unread discussions are shown in bold, and discussions which have been read are shown in plain. In this context, 'unread' means a discussion whose content has been added to since you last read it.

Apr 16, 2011 10:14 PM in response to Don Archibald

Thanks for the response.

However, if that's the only difference, it seems like a trivial (and for most people, I would think, confusing) difference to justify parallel, virtually identical categories.

Why not do away with the "All Content" category and only have "Discussions"? You'd get all the same information and what would you lose?

Apr 16, 2011 10:17 PM in response to Don Archibald

So what's the point? Why have two tabs that display the same items? Why not have one tab that displays "All Content" & another that displays just the ones with new content, with a matching & intuitive "New Content" name?

As it is, it gives users the impression that "Discussions" is a sub-category of "All Content." Not at all intuitive, & likely to cause frustration if users try to find the other "missing" sub-categories.

Apr 16, 2011 10:21 PM in response to MattiMattMatt

I can't disagree.

There are a few minor (to me, anyway) other differences - "All Content" means just that; it's a composite, and includes entries classed as discussions, announcements, and documents, as appropriate. "Discussions" does not include any announcement- or document-type items.

There is a choice available to make any of those tabs the default one for you when you go to that place; it appears as a clickable link just to the right of the last tab. Click the tab you want as default view, then after the page has loaded click that set as default link. I choose the Discussions tab as default, because it does show the read/unread status and may remove a few things I rarely need to look at.

Apr 16, 2011 10:32 PM in response to R C-R

Hi, R C-R -

There are some subtle other differences, as I mentioned above.

To me they're not important - not sure what a 'document' might be (yet), and I haven't regretted missing an announcement (yet).

My solution is to just set the viewtab for that palce to "Discussions" and drive on. That setting governs any time I return to that place. If I should want to check for new documents or announcements I can easily do so by clicking the appropriate tab.

Apr 17, 2011 9:02 AM in response to Don Archibald

It sounds like a distinction without a difference. And un-Appley... an extraneous tab that essentially mirrors another, providing no obvious benefit and adding confusion.

Simple solution: remove the "All Content" tab.

If there is anything unique and necessary under the "All Content" tab, it could be moved to one of the remaining tabs.

Apr 17, 2011 10:14 AM in response to Don Archibald

I notice that here in Using Apple Communities the "Announcement" tab just shows me the announcements in a yellow box that appear in the same place in the other tabs anyway, whether I want then to or not. And they aren't context sensitive -- one of the two tells me:

"To see unread and updated messages … Use the "Discussions" tab. You can set it as your default tab as well"

That appears even in the "Discussions" tab, & even after I have set it to the default. I assume (hope) it will go away eventually, but for now it & the other message -- telling me that I have removed subscriptions, which (duh!) is not news to me -- alternate in a distracting way that just makes me want to ignore them.

I've also noticed that the numbers in the tabs don't seem to add up. Right now there is a difference of 2 between "All Content" & "Discussions" in this forum but with the "Refine this list …" thing open, the total of each of the 'available categories' don't match the totals in either tab, regardless of which of the two are open.

It's all needlessly confusing & non-intuitive.

What is the difference between "All Content" and "Discussions"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.