Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound with quicktime MPEG 2 program

I bought yesterday the Mpeg2 option. The problem is that the mpg files have no sound sound when i play them. Theses files come from windows recorded with a sony HD camera. If i use the program Mplayer ( freeware ) everything is ok. Can you tell me what can i do to have sound with quicktime mpeg2

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 1:05 AM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2011 4:19 AM in response to fredericfromchelles

Can you tell me what can i do to have sound with quicktime mpeg2

What Klaus1 is attempting to point out is that the Apple QT MPEG-2 Playback Component is a video only component. As such, the audio is compatible only if the audio format in the multiplexed file is already QT compatible with your system configuration. An MPEG file normally consists of MPEG-2 video (handled by the component you purchased) which is multiplexed with MPEG-1 layer audio (MP1, MP2, or MP3), AC3, or PCM audio. If all you want to do is make your file playable with audio in the QT X and/or QT 7 media player, then the easiest approach is to simply convert the non-playing audio compression format to one that is supported. In most cases that would be an MPEG file type containing MPEG-2 video (from the source file) re-multiplexed with MPEG-1, Layer 2 (MP2) audio. This is a very common combination compatible with both Mac and PC platforms.

Since you already have the Apple QT MPEG-2 Playback component installed, all you really need is the free MPEG Streamclip application. Simply open the file in MPEG Streamclip, select the "Convert to MPEG with MP2 audio..." option, and provide a new name for your target file. The Streamclip application will then de-mux the file, convert the audio (probably AC3) to MP2 audio, re-mux the MP2 audio with the original MPEG-2 video and copy it to the newly named MPEG file container. Since the video is not re-compressed by this action, the work flow is reasonably fast. Further, if you have a lot of files to convert, you can even set up a batch list of files to be converted. MPEG Streamclips is a very handy application and highly recommended if you plan to do much trimming/limited editing of MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 content on a Mac.

User uploaded file

No sound with quicktime MPEG 2 program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.