Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I uninstall adobe acrobat reader 10?

I just installed this program because I thought it was better than Preview! But it's ugly and slow and it takes more than 500MB of space! How can I remove it completely? I can't find the uninstaller! F@#k Adobe!

Macbook Pro, Unibody 13" v7,1

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 2:14 AM

12 replies

Apr 27, 2011 9:39 AM in response to JohnMoooore

Thanks sig for help, but I know how to uninstall an application...
I normally drag it to the trash if I installed the application using drag in to the application folder.
By the way there are some applications, like acrobat reader, that are installed using a package (an executable file with .pkg extension). Normally these kind of applications have a uninstaller. This is not the case for the acrobat reader.

I'd like to know if there's a way to completely uninstall it (without using programs like AppCleaner, which simply do a search for similar names in the filesystem). Or I can uninstall it manually if I know what files are installed by the pkg.

Apr 27, 2011 10:51 AM in response to JohnMoooore

Hi John,

I used File Buddy to search for "reader" on my main drive. This is everything it returned that relates to the Acrobat Reader X:

/Applications/Adobe Reader.app

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Help/en_US/Adobe Reader

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/com.adobe.Reader

/Users/retoucher/Library/Caches/com.adobe.Reader

/Users/retoucher/Library/Caches/com.adobe.Reader.ARM

/Users/retoucher/Library/Application Support/Expression Media/Plug-ins/Helper Applications/Adobe Reader

/Users/retoucher/Library/Receipts/com.adobe.Reader

/Users/retoucher/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Reader_x86_9.0.plist

/Users/retoucher/Library/Logs/Adobe/Adobe Reader Updater.log

/Users/retoucher/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Reader.plist

/private/var/root/Library (from old Mac)/Receipts/com.adobe.Reader

The only one that isn't readily accessible is the .plist file in the /private/var/... folder. But it's only 29Kb.

For the most part, Mac apps don't spread themselves as pervasively as they do in Windows. Larger apps like Photoshop (or the Adobe suites), Final Cut Studio, Quark, etc., tend to drop more stuff around the drive in the System or main Library folders. But for smaller apps, they tend to be the main app, a few things in the Application Support folders, and a preference file (or a few of them).

Apr 28, 2011 5:11 AM in response to JohnMoooore

For future reference, you may want to install a third party uninstaller such as AppDelete or AppCleaner. When you open one of them up they will display a trash basket on your desktop. Simply drag the app you don't want into that basket and the uninstaller will search your system for all supporting files (prefs, caches,logs, receipts etc) and add them to the app. Simply click the delete button and all those files will go to your trash where you can then permanently delete them.

Jan 18, 2013 5:48 PM in response to JohnMoooore

Yes Adobe *****. BTW it is also a security nightmare.

I too have a major problem with printing Adobe PDF files - they just show as blank in the print preview. What a crap piece of software and to think that Adobe are trying to convince Apple to welcome them into the fold so that Mac can become just as prone to virus attack as Microsoft!!

Jan 18, 2013 7:21 PM in response to RegMayor

I too have a major problem with printing Adobe PDF files - they just show as blank in the print preview.

In what? Acrobat? If that's what you mean, I assume you hit Command+P when trying to print a PDF file from within your browser? If so, that's a known, minor issue with the Acrobat browser plugin. Instead of Command+P, move the mouse towards the bottom of the browser window and a selection of buttons will appear. Click the print icon so Acrobat controls the output instead of the OS. It will print correctly.

How can I uninstall adobe acrobat reader 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.